1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he was also so gassed after the match he needed help walking back to the dressing room.

He also asked HBK how often they performed. When Michaels told him that sometimes as much as seven times a week, LT said that was the equivalent of playing seven NFL games in a week.

It shows what incredible shape these guys and gals are in.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

He's huge....6-6, 265, for a tight end. But that's pedestrian for the WWE, like Scott Hall size. He's going to look better today than he would've 10 yeas ago because there are more 5-11 is guys but it's a concern.

The $$ is too. I saw $5 mil a year. Who gets that now other than Brock Roman Cena and maybe Styles? Would he get the Mark Henry heat to ruin the launch?

3. Baron Scicluna

Henry's issue was that he was pushed too quickly when he first started, when he was both physically unprepared for it, and had his fellow wrestlers upset for the push without paying his dues.

McMichael didn't really get a big push. He started out with just the gimmick match with Kevin Greene, and broadcasting, and worked his way to the point where he could be the muscle in the Four Horsemen. He never really made that big a splash, and he pretty much ably filled a midcard role.

Goldberg was an unknown, who got a tremendous build to the main event role.

The E, on the other hand, would probably try to go nuts for Gronk. He would be fine as a gimmick, but I don't think the fans wouldn't really buy him as a full-time main eventer. They already have been lukewarm on Reigns, who spent time training and paying dues. Someone like Gronk, if he was, say, given top title matches early on, may end up getting booed out of the building.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Bring Gronk in for Mania to finally face off with Jinder. End of line.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reigns, Sheamus and Owens are about the same size. If Gronk is that size and ripped, he'll look fine. If he's doughy and can't move he'll look stupid. Owens looks doughy but can move like a cruiserweight so he gets away with it.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Especially when you consider the amount of drugs, alcohol, road food, etc., wrestlers put into their bodies back in the day.

7. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, they're taking better care of themselves now. I read somewheres that Flair even said they spend more time in their rooms playing video games than hitting the bars and partying.

SullyBarnes likes this.
  8. SullyBarnes

SullyBarnes New Member

I guess that may very well lengthen their longevity in the business.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Surprising.

10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Inducted by the Roadie, to "Be My Baby Tonight"?

Can't to hear him thank Karen and the camera pans to Kurt Angle.

John B. Foster likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Elias vs. Jarrett vs. Honky Tonk vs. Braun in a guitar gauntlet match?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow. Not that he isn't deserving, but considering he's spent the better part of 20 years trying to establish a viable competitor to WWE and still seems to be a semi-active wrestler, I'd have figured he was right up there with Owen and Benoit on the no-fly list.
    Wonder if they'll have to pay him $150,000 for the one-off HOF appearance?

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted