1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gotta be willing to walk away. I suspect, had I held the line and insisted on cancelling, I could have gotten my monthly rate waaaaay lower than I did.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I remember when this paper was the equal to Dallas. Stayed in Arlington in 2001, my first time in the Metroplex, and I was spoiled rotten. The sports section in the DMN was at least 25-30 pages every day. Fort Worth had fat sports sections, including an eight-page high school pullout EVERY DAY.

These sections could make you smile. Nowadays, they can also make you cry.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was working for the Star-Telegram back then. We had three zoned editions that each had their own separate daily local sports section (The Sports Zone) -- Arlington, Northeast Tarrant and Fort Worth -- in addition to the main sports section. Just the Arlington sports department was the biggest sports staff I had ever been a part of up until then. We had a beat writer for each of the Arlington and Mansfield high schools, another for the Grand Prairie schools, another for private schools, plus one for UT-Arlington and a columnist.

It was amazing.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I remember reading that, like three decades ago, DMN sports department had 30 staff writers.

And a shitload of editors and designers, too. That, my friends, was truly the golden age of newspapers.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

And don't forget that the Dallas Times Herald also had a superb sports section until the late '80s, when it no longer could compete against the Morning News and went into a death spiral. Couldn't go wrong reading any of the sports sections in that metro area for most of the '80s.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The only newspaper I'm paying $80 a month for is one that has tomorrow's stock prices today.

reformedhack likes this.
  8. Irvin Magic Favre

Irvin Magic Favre New Member

A big problem. He's terrible.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I'd rather have the paper that has the winning PowerBall and MegaMillions numbers ... :)

Irvin Magic Favre likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You think that's what you'll get, but you really just end up getting sucked into a bunch of mysteries, people whining about how they need your help, and trying to prevent end of the world scenarios.

Irvin Magic Favre likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bump.

Sacramento loses sports columnist.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone and everyone who stays too long at the ball is at risk of having their jobs turn into pumpkins.
    And the ball has been over for a while.
    Those able to or permitted to exit on their own terms a dwindling number.
    Always a shame, never a surprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted