1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you read writing about the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I imagine someone does, and Lord knows I used to more, but I’ll be very honest: No, not that much anymore. Not at all so far. And I’ve watched stuff on TV. I’m just not sure I give a shit what any writer, who doesn’t know any more about the sport than I do. thinks about what I saw. And that’s awful, but it’s where I’m at.

Anyone else?

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great thread idea.

Olympics being such a TV event, I don't read unless I want the recap story (and quotes, mostly) about what I saw on TV.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Winter "Olympics"? Not a chance.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The waves of journalism cutbacks might figure into this too. All the major papers used to have Olympics beat writers, who covered figure skating and swimming and gymnastics and such year-round, so the readers would have heard of the most prominent medal contenders by now. But, today, who are these people wearing
    "USA" on the TV?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I probably read just enough to get an idea of who are the emerging big names. In other words, the AP lede provides me with just about what I need.

Especially in the Winter Games, there are sports that simply have never captured America's interest -- biathlon, ski jumping, cross-country skiing.

It's not as journalistic an answer as you might want, but I suppose the sport drives my reading interest.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

We used to send 10-12 people to any Olympics, and that included two photogs, one or two columnists and at least one coordinating editor in the media center. I think that paper is down to two writers and maybe a columnist at these Winter Olympics, with all photos coming off the wire, but that was a few years ago. Downsizing got me and a lot of others after that, and it's hard to tell what they staff these days. But it ain't much.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think it's one of those events that's almost too big to follow. There are so many events, many of them obscure to even avid sports fans, that it's difficult to dial in and focus on more than a handful of them. There's a few that are well structured and easy to follow. Swimming, track and basketball in the Summer Games, hockey and figure skating in the Winter. The rest is just a blizzard of sports that come and go, and with several medal events every day how do you compile it all into one tidy package?
    We tend to focus on our state athletes and the major events in our section. The rest we'll get in as needed or as interest warrants.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Other than pieces by the three friends I have over there? Nope.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I read a couple preview pieces that give me a feel for some of the better storylines, then I wing it. Might read a final recap to help put it in perspective at its conclusion.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've written quite a few hometown Olympics features, so I hope somebody's reading 'em.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'd rather read about the World Cup.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depends entirely on the writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted