1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I made a typo. GateLee is not a company. I truncated and combined Gatehouse and Lee so there are five companies. Gatehouse and saw revenues decline 5.4%. Gannett was the laggard and saw revenues decline 10%. Lee, McClatchy and Tronc between 5.4% and 10.2%.

They are huge declines and that is why more people will be getting axed.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Which will be a shame. Cox's central desk is top-notch, at least in sports.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Go ahead ... let the hate flow through you ...

Got an email from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram the other day, telling me my monthly subscription price would increase by about $15 (to around $80).

I've been a subscriber almost from the day I moved here. But that paper is a shell of a shell of its former self, and $80 a month for it is a joke.

I knew what would happen when I called ... they'd offer me a deal and I'd probably take it. And so it went.

Now I'm paying about $10 less than I was before. Hated to do it, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you take a copy of FWST today and hold it up to a weekday paper from, say, 1998, it looks like a little Fisher-Price toy newspaper.

steveu and SpeedTchr like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the depressing things watching The Post - the wide-web papers.

bpoindexter likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The news desk was equally top-notch, if not better.

Bronco77 likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One of the things that has really changed is how little advertising Fry's (big discount electronics retailer) does in the S-T these days. Time was, there was ALWAYS a full-page ad on the back of the sports section, then a multi-page insert on Fridays. I think they do a full-pager on Fridays and Sundays now.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Starting in less than two weeks, it'll all be one big, unhappy family.

9. Irvin Magic Favre

Irvin Magic Favre New Member

Liut likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

11. Irvin Magic Favre

Irvin Magic Favre New Member

Thanks. It's been a few years since Al was there.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

$80 a month!?!?! As in nearly $1,000 a year to subscribe to the local paper?

Wow, man. Florida's largest newspaper charges roughly $60 a year for daily delivery in some parts of its circulation area.

Draft saved Draft deleted