1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump has lived and worked at Trump Tower for over 30 years. Trump Tower is on Fifth Avenue, which is known to host a few parades.

He was also George Steinbrenner’s guest at several ticker tape parades, honoring the Yankees winning the World Series, and ride through the parade in an open air, double decker bus.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This country has many ceremonies to honor its military every year. There's Veterans Day and Memorial Day parades in my town alone, plus Patriots Day parade. There's flyovers at major sports events and not so major ones. Big companies sponsor active duty military members trips home to see their families. This is all to the good, but it indicates Trump isn't exactly filling a gap here. He just wants to stand on the reviewing stand. He can do that any Memorial Day almost anywhere in the US.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

As I said before, it's a cheap ploy to lather up his base and accuse critics of being un-American. Divide and polarize.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Those will be the battling narratives.

Which one wins out?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Neither ... there won't be a parade. Not a new one, at least.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My guess is that if the parade takes place, it'll be what it should be, a teeny tiny blip on the national consciousness. It's not worth either celebrating or getting upset about. I mean, Trump might want the parade to be a political statement (although I doubt it) but people watch parades for all sorts of reasons. The Thunderbirds used to come to the local Air Force base for an air show every couple of years. I went not as any statement of anything, but because high performance precision aircraft flying is cool to watch.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Are you feeling OK?

8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure even yank knows the actual answer to this question, though I am sure he will not admit as much.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe there's enough time before the parade so we can we teach our soldiers to do that fancy marching where they kick their legs up into the air?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OOP?

BadgerBeer and YankeeFan like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The more I think about it - I'm kind of leaning toward supporting something like this. This military has been engaged in the war on terror for 17 years, the longest conflict in our history. There will never be a "victory parade" coming out of this war because there will never be peace or a surrender from terror. That said - I'd like to see an opportunity for our country to recognize all who have been part of it, whether currently in or not, the injured vets, those who have fought and those who will fight, everyone.
    I would just hope it wouldn't end up being a military equipment expo.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I kind of want the parade to happen so there can be 50,000 people in attendance and he can insist it was a million. The Women’s March should counterprogram at the same time.

melock and Donny in his element like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.