1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don’t care if they appreciate it or not. Observing the Sabbath is of utmost importance to the Jewish religion.

The fact that people are arguing against this is baffling to me.

If you believe in two gods, you could call yourself Jewish, but you’re not Jewish.

2. SnarkShark

OK. I can get with that.

I would argue that observing the Sabbath to Jews is just as important as observing Christmas for Christians.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, I would argue the former is more important to Jews than the latter is to Christians.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. The majority of Jews in America are secular, politically liberal, and do not hold Israel in a special place.

That’s what I said.

Which is why the, “well then why do Jews vote overwhelmingly for Democrats in America,” isn’t the gotcha question some think it is when I say Israeli Jews prefer Trump to Obama or Clinton.

They are very different groups, with different priorities and political beliefs.

And, yes, the community of religious Jews, in America, for whom Israel is a priority is comparatively small.

I never tried to say otherwise.

5. SnarkShark

Equal with Easter?

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don't know why we'd place more importance on what Jews in Israel think.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Trump has taken Israel's side on the issues of Jerusalem and settlements/occupation, winning favor among hard-line Israelis on these issues, but in doing so has eliminated the U.S. as a peace broker.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that either. I don't think apples-to-apples comparisons really work here. The observance of holy days is different in Christianity than it is in Judaism.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

37 Episcopalians Remaining On Planet Vote To Stop Using Male Pronouns For God

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not arguing against the truth of what you said. It's all very true.

But it's also true that those who agree with or applaud this specific approach to Israel represent a pretty small slice of the Jewish American electorate.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not sure there will ever be peace in the Middle East now.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How has it helped the U.S.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.