1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It's always interesting how actors get tied to different roles by each of us. None of those characters are the first I think of for those actors.

Brie = Annie in Community
    Jesse Plemons = Landry in Friday Night Lights
    David Cross = Mr. Show, with Tobias in Arrested Development a standout.
    Bob Odenkirk = Mr. Show
    Bradley Whitford = Get Out, but only because i saw it 24 hours before The Post

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Whitford is always West Wing. Always

outofplace and HC like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Billy Madison

Saw The Post last night. Streep was terrific, Hanks was ok but his accent kept slipping. Overall movie was good, but man were there two or three ham-handed, cringeworthy moments when Spielberg was shoving the women’s lib angle down our throats. Notably, during the Supreme Court appearances where some lowly aide kisses Katherine Graham’s ass and then all these women are lined up to see her as she exits the court. Both just felt forced and unnecessary. Haven’t seen Three Billboards yet, but given the climate I wouldn’t be surprised if The Post wins best picture, even as Spielberg was rightfully not nominated. The story itself is that good and relevant.

4. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Finally saw Carol (2015) -- hard to believe it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara were as good as advertised and certainly worthy of their Oscar nominations. Two thumbs up!

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just had a thought regarding The Post. All the drama leading up the producing the story. They hand it to the copyeditor and the first thing he does is cross out the lede sentence.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit that was not only funny, but moment that many long-time reporters would recognize from some point in their careers. :)

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I had one horrible editor who did that. It got to the point where I would ask him if this was his story or mine? Once I told him to edit it however he wanted, but take my byline off first.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I, Tonya was very worthwhile. Margot Robbie and Janney were fantastic. Even the Eckert guy was hilarious. The current Gillogly looked like Matt Damon.

Cross thread but amazing that someone from a trailer park with a waitress mom finishes 4th in womens figure skating in the Olympics, let alone a US national champion.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Why?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Seriously? How many trailer park girls do you ever see in skating? Completely amateur status until after Olympics? Beauty queen requirements, coaching fees, ice rink time, equipment. Not the same as hoops at the playground.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watched Apollo 13 since it's now on Netflix. I know I saw it in the theatres but maybe hadn't since. Still great.

maumann likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The miracle of that movie is that it's so dramatic even though the whole world knows how the story ends.

maumann and bigpern23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted