1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrison Keillor fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 29, 2017.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As a current resident of Minnesota, Keillor's cultural impact on the state is pretty deep. A lot of states have stereotypes, but most of them grow naturally out of folklore. As several of you have noted, most of the ones about Minnesota are either molded by or wholesale inventions of Keillor's. Personally, I find his work clever but dry.

As for the veracity of his statements, he's on the record (from the 90s) as comparing sexual harrassment to harmless flirtation, saying "If there were no thieves, there would be no entrepreneurs." I'm not down with that.

However, if Keillor's story is true, which is a big if, I suspect all of this is an MPR executive finding a way to get out of an expensive contract with someone who has a reputation for being a diva and is delivering increasingly diminishing returns.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The CEO can't survive, right? If she were male, would it have taken this long?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Balanced story. Some allegations that need to be addressed and some ardent defenders, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted