1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations are out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What are 9 movies that I didn't see this year?

SpeedTchr and Vombatus like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are the Oscars loving it?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Let's not piss him off.

[​IMG]

Chef2 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

There are also some other threads of the storyline that suggest that he's a disturbed, cruel person to people of all races, not just blacks/minorities. I agree with you the "redemption" is a) tenuous and b) indicative of the growth (or potential growth) of the character.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good for Gerwig. May she permanently move into writer/director territory. She has a knack for that more so than the other thing. Like Sofia Coppola, who, it should be noted, made a great movie this year almost no one saw.

Three Billboards is a spiteful film, closest in spirit to American Beauty, I suppose, and it may just win.

For every person I've talked to who loved Dunkirk, two others thought it was a snooze or confusing enough to be a snooze.

It was actually a good year for movies, but the Academy didn't burn any of its noms on a comic book flick - like Logan - or It or Baby Driver or anything remotely fun outside of Get Out, which is serious, but also fun.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board, Philip Michael Thomas!!!! :D

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whether its the Oscars or an All Star game you don't get to write about a snub unless you say who doesn't belong. I'll be satisfied if Get Out gets the screenplay - first scripts tend to do well. (Milk, Good Will Hunting, Whiplash). And I do hope Roger Deakins finally wins an overdue cinematography trophy.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A guy I know is up for a Grammy for album notes. He's a really good music writer, and a former newspaper guy. Hoping he wins.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That is awesome. I hope he wins, too.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Baby Driver at least got a few nominations in the sound and editing categories. I'm not sure how they judge those categories, but it should be a slam dunk to win for sound editing.

Draft saved Draft deleted