1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations are out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to see Get Out get some love considering it's a horror movie that came out last February.

This year's Best Picture looks interesting. I've actually heard of all but one and saw half of them in the theater, up from hearing of half and maybe seeing two.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still want to catch Lady Bird. I've heard very underwhelming things about The Post. Saw Three Billboards and Get Out, loved them both.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My rankings for Best Picture:

1) Get Out
    2) Three Billboards
    3) Lady Bird
    4) The Shape of Water
    5) Dunkirk
    6) The Post
    7) Darkest Hour

Yet to see:
    Call Me By Your Name
    Phantom Thread

Best Actress: McDormand
    Best Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Supporting Actress: Laurie Metcalf
    Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Lady Bird was very good, though as I've said elsewhere the ending is unsatisfying IMHO. Dunkirk was OK, but it's not a movie I care to see again. Darkest Hour was terrific. Hoping to see The Shape of Water tomorrow. I fell asleep during Get Out, but that's really no comment on its quality. I was exhausted. Obvious that James Franco got rooked because of the tawdry allegations. Makes sense. Wasn't just one instance of allegedly improper behavior. I was surprised Woody Harrelson didn't get nominated for The Glass Castle. I know he got a supporting nod for Billboard Outside of Branson, Missouri, or whatever the eff it's called, but still.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I thought Daniel Kaluuya was terrific in Get Out, but I don't think he'll win. The movie isn't "Oscar" enough.

Kind of surprised at Octavia Spencer's nomination for The Shape of Water. I liked that movie a lot, and Sally Hawkins was wonderful in it, but Spencer's character is problematic for a bunch of reasons.

I really liked Three Billboards, and I'd agree that the acting was first-rate, but that acting makes up a lot of ground for what would otherwise be a pretty patchy movie. The fact that it might win Best Picture this year—it seems to be the favourite—does not say a lot about this year in film.

Am I only the one here who thinks about winning one of these? What it would be like? I suspect I am. I think it must be the most surreal, amazing experience.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Also, Sufjan Stevens will lose to "This is Me" for Best Song, but it's super cool that he's nominated. Love him.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Friend from a different part of the Internet world I'm involved in has been nominated for technical awards in the past (I think he works/worked for Sony Pictures). Don't think he ever won but it's still pretty cool. He's a good guy who has sent me lots of good California beers in the past. :)

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm really glad The Big Sick got at least a Best Screenplay nod. That and Get Out were the best movies I've seen in the past year. Criminally underappreciated.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good call on The Big Sick. I was experiencing The Big Hangover on Thanksgiving day and watched that in the morning. Really compelling film.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Aiming a little low there, mofo. EGOT or bust

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oldman's gonna win Best Actor. He owns that movie. I would love to see Get Out get many accolades. It came out so early last year that many have forgotten how good it is. What a great moviegoing experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted