1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don’t know, man. You go and see Lincoln, Titanic or The Doors? How about Darkest Hour? How about read such things like The March by EL Doctorow about Sherman’s March to the Sea? I understand the reticence in regard to well-known material, but in the hands of artists such things can truly surprise you. I look forward to watching The Post, mostly because of the participants in front of and behind the camera. If it were populated by lesser lights, I would probably skip it.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is OK, but the movie is also about seizing the day, the boys' growth, and the importance of developing an ability to stand up for oneself and say/do what you want, as long as it is thought through.

And, in/by that last scene, Todd was a leader, answering Neil's question in the affirmative, while Neil, ironically struggled to do with his father exactly the things Mr. Keaton tried to teach, causing tragedy to ensue. The whole point and message of the movie, full circle, in two main characters.

Loved it.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Bright."

My how the Fresh Prince has fallen.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" last night.

Much darker than I expected. And a hell of a movie. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson were all superb.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Saw The Post today. Wasn't entirely familiar with the whole story and I enjoyed it. As I was watching it overseas, I wondered how many in the audience (which was packed) realized what was happening at the very end, with the break-in.

When they brought in the attorney guy at the end, I couldn't place him. Had to IMDB him when I got home -- Todd, from Breaking Bad.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw it last night, too.
    This all occurred during my high school and college years. When I transferred from JC to a four-year college in 1972, there were 60 in the School of Journalism. A year later, there were 240. "Newspaper reporters get to bring down the President. Sign me up."

It was almost distracting that the Breaking Bad and Madmen actors were in this movie. Odenkirk in Better Call Saul. And, yes, Todd, the lawyer. Alison Brie in Mad Men. Deirdre Lovejoy, the newsroom secretary, was in a Bull last week. Matthew Rhys, who played Ellsberg, starred as the gay brother in Brothers and Sisters. It got to the point that every actor who showed up I wondered what else they were in.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My wife does that in almost every movie we watch, and it drives me nuts. We'll miss a plot point because she's asking me where we saw Actress X before.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We saw it on Saturday night and I totally agree. However, it’s hard to end a movie like that. Graduation or the airport would have made the most sense.

I thought it was really well written an acted, with the exception of the bratty rich kids, who should have been more 3 dimensional.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Totally. The boyfriend of the rich girl, I don’t think he said a single word the whole movie. I hate how writers portray most high kids and adolescents. They make them out to be much meaner and shallower than they are, often for cheap theatrics or as a contrast to some supposedly sensitive soul. In my experience, all young adults are mostly middle of the road little assholes. Not dissimilar from adults in that regard.

Webster likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that they did a nice job making a number of the bit players seem like real people (a lot of what I liked about The Big Sick), but the snobby new best friend and the second boyfriend were cartoons.

Draft saved Draft deleted