1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTH is happening in LA?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 19, 2018.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Counterproductive? All of the things you mention could have happened a month ago or tomorrow, for that matter. The difference is that now unionized employees will end up better compensated and will have better job protections when any of those things actually happen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A union is much more valuable to employees in bad times than good. The union couldn't save my job with the Herald, but it did negotiate the buyout/severance package that added up to about a year's salary for a member with my seniority. That was a lifesaver.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, longtime Tronc employees a couple of years ago got three weeks of severance for every year of service, with a cap of a year's pay. That meant 52 weeks for anyone there 21 or more years. With no union.

As a former 26-year employee, my dream was to time one of those suckers perfectly to starting another job somewhere else. Never happened. :(

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I fell into that, was planning to retire a few months after the buyout was announced. I told my wife about it and she said if I didn't take it, she was having me committed.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree that when a union is in place and has a contract in place it is a better place to work. But in today's economy with today's technology the road to a contract is long and difficult. In the 60's papers stopped publishing when the union went out. Do you think the Times would have to shut down if there was a strike? If not there goes a lot of leverage for the union.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The “road to a contract” has always been long and difficult. Employees are still far better off bargaining collectively than individually.

wicked and FileNotFound like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's not awesome, but not significantly worse than other media company efforts. It at least brings latimes.com back to "not sucking any worse than any other site."

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A piece of shit management moron with ties to Fox. Gosh you never see that.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

We will see if management has reached the limits of moving work away from union members to others. The article, written by Ken Doctor, says additional managers are getting hired that are not being announced to the current newsroom. These managers are getting paid by an entity separate from the Times. Speculation is that Tronc is working on creating a seperate design hub in the entity that would not be affected by the vote to unionize where tey can continue to publish if necessary.

Tronc Is Building A Shadow Newsroom Full Of Scabs, L.A. Times Staffers Fear | HuffPost

Alos, has there been a successful newspaper labor action in this century, which roughly coincides with the rise of digital? I think digital technology will make publishing unions, sadly, as largely ineffective.

In fact I think that the Tronc is still produced in Los Angeles. I am somewhat surprised that Tronc has not yet moved layout from Los Angeles to some anti-union state with a lower wage structure like Texas.

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Troubled Los Angeles Times Picking New Editor Amid Unrest

"In an attempt to calm rising newsroom tensions at The Los Angeles Times, the paper was expected to name Jim Kirk, a veteran journalist and former editor and publisher of The Chicago Sun-Times, as its next editor in chief on Monday, according to two company officials.

"Mr. Kirk, who joined Tronc, the parent company of The Times, in August, will replace Lewis D’Vorkin, whose brief stint atop one of the country’s most prominent newspapers touched off widespread unrest in the newsroom."

Draft saved Draft deleted