1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Up early watching this Dimitrov-Kyrgios match. First two sets ended in breakers. One is 26 and the other is 22. These kids pound the crap out of the ball and they are so athletic.

Makes me think the sport will be OK after the current guard fades away.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Kyrgios was 1/100th the sportsman that Federer and Nadal are, perhaps. Instead, he's just a dick I root against every match.

Shanghai Masters: Nick Kyrgios fined for quitting match

Year before, same tournament

ATP fines Kyrgios for attitude, lack of effort

And a few days ago

Nick Kyrgios fined for telling fan to 'shut the f*** up' | Daily Mail Online

And then there's just being a dick to fellow players
    Not All's Fair In Love And Tennis: Player Fined For Lewd Comment

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

On the direct TV feed yesterday, one channel showed a "Legends" match with the McEnroes. Good lord, that was depressing. Patrick McEnroe is fat and has man tits. Johnny took his shirt off at the end of the match, his Bjorn Borg underwear showing. Yikes.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Needs a coach who can rein him in. Amazing talent with a 10 cent head. Was screaming at the people in his camp to “Get up!” and presumably cheer louder.

But he’s just 22. So either he’ll flame out over the next few years or he’ll mature and be a really top-level player.

5. BTExpress

Needs Serena Williams to shove a fucking ball down his fucking throat.

Gator likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Djokovic-Monfils match had (from what I read) temps at 69 CELSIUS!! (156 F). Ridiculous. Its just a shame that they can whale on the ball with such control that the S&V contrast with baseliners has evaporated. Borg - Tanner; Borg v. McEnroe; Cash - Lendl were such beautiful contrasts. I blame Sampras because he was the first big server who didn't always come charging in at all times; he served so big, he didn't have to S&V exclusively. I was hoping Alexander Zverev was going to punch through but he's come up small in the majors.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Same as it ever was -- looking like it will be Nadal and Federer in the final. If they each make the semifinals, they take on an unseeded opponent.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's amazing. I really thought Nadal was done for good when he dropped off a few years ago because I figured the wear and tear on his knees had caught up to him. What he's done lately is really remarkable.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess the wear and tear on Nadal caught up with him today.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ha! I went to bed long before the match ended. Woke up to see he had retired from the match in the fifth set and thought exactly that.

This wasn't his knee, though -- more like his hip, I believe.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Court temperatures, not actual temperatures. Still hot, but had me confused before I looked it up.

12. BTExpress

I didn't need any convincing, but this Chung-Sandgren match is evidence the depth on the men's tour is beyond obscene.

Draft saved Draft deleted