1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

*Clarkson got in the fight with the producer

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It was fanastic. Passan was also on the Effectively Wild podcast with Ben Lindbergh and Jeff Sullivan and talked for about an hour on the subject. He said he's going to keep digging into this subject as the year goes along. Should be really good stuff.

When I read this part, I couldn't help but think of the Simpsons episode where the union trades its dental plan for a complimentary keg of beer at meetings:

During the negotiations leading to the 2016 basic agreement that governs baseball, officials at MLB left bargaining stupefied almost on a daily basis. Something had changed at the MLBPA, and the league couldn’t help but beam at its good fortune: The core principle that for decades guided the union no longer seemed a priority.

“It was like they didn’t care about money anymore,” one league official said.

Though something of an oversimplification, there was more than a kernel of truth to it. Meaningful negotiating time was spent on issues the league happily accepted in exchange for stronger financial positions. The players wanted a chef in the clubhouse. The players wanted two seats apiece on spring training buses. The players wanted more off-days. Lifestyle and amenities took precedent more than ever.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Let the fools have their tartar sauce.

Hermes likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nobody could have ever seen this coming when they put a former player in charge instead of lawyers

Hermes and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kind of like how the NFLPA was a complete joke when Gene Upshaw was running it.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wilson was waiting for Larry Baer to be on one of the other teams?

7. Spartan Squad

Muh?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got to say I had an inkling.

Marvin Miller was one of my heroes growing up and I did want to follow his footsteps. Unfortunately the reality of very limited potential clients hit home.

At the very least, the MLB'ers still get real free agency, unlike the NFL.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Giants sign Austin Jackson to a two-year deal. I like this.

qtlaw likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Starters by opening day age:

LF 34
    CF 31
    RF 31
    3B 32
    SS 31
    2B 27
    1B 29
    C 31
    P 28

That's ... not a youth movement.

11. Spartan Squad

Austin Jackson says a lot about where the Giants feel about their farm outfielders. Regardless they actually went out and filled the three biggest holes from last year. Now a bull pen piece and they might make a run at a wild card.

So they are going all in for this year Now let's see the farm get bolstered in the interim

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't they mean reveal?

Draft saved Draft deleted