1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are being silly. I lavishly praised the Post’s reporting on Roy Moore, for example. There are 100 others.

It’s exceedingly boring to talk about me anyway. Or about any poster and why that poster posted this and what’s his angle?

Columnists - who are writing for the purpose of spurring such discussions, by the way - are penning 2,000-word think pieces pondering whether it feels like Grace described a sexual assault. Well guess what? They don’t have to guess!

If the consensus is that we should only cheerlead legacy journalism, by all means, I’ll save my thoughts on the craft for that alone. I will.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    YankeeFan likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

50!?!

I'll need to see that list.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. And yet, you've kind of made your point. Or not made it.

5. Dick Whitman

I think it is strange that Aziz Ansari has come out of this pretty much completely unscathed, perhaps even as a more sympathetic figure than he went into it as.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

One opinion is that, admittedly I did not read the story, but it seems from what I have read, she had plenty of opportunity to leave. For every time she complained about his behavior, that was the time to leave. So every time he failed at doing the right thing , so did she. There has to be some responsibility on her part to put an end to it if she did not like it. That is for this specific incident. A different situation and the person may not have been able to leave. Like I said for every time she complains about something he did that is the same amount of opportunities that she had to put a real stop to it.
    To be clear, I have never seen his shows or his stand up or have any preconceived notion of him. I was not aware of any reputation he has, good or bad.
    I also agree that cases like this hurt the "cause".

7. YankeeFan

I agree that the story I didn’t read hurts the cause.

QYFW, RickStain and Dick Whitman like this.
  8. Dick Whitman

The Psychology of Victim-Blaming

Victim-blaming comes in many forms, and is oftentimes more subtle, and unconscious than Metzger’s tirade. It can apply to cases of rape and sexual assault, but also to more mundane crimes, like a person who gets pickpocketed and is then chided for his decision to carry his wallet in his back pocket. Any time someone defaults to questioning what a victim could have done differently to prevent a crime, he or she is participating, to some degree, in the culture of victim-blaming.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Paul Simon needs to write a new song.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

"completely unscathed"

Are you fucking cracked?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you read the story, I think a logical conclusion for women is to NEVER go into a guy's New York apartment. Weinstein, Ansari, Douglas - I am sure there are more.

Nothing good ever seems to happen there.

12. YankeeFan

How “scathed” is he?

I don’t think he’s going to lose any work, and people have rushed to his defense.

The general consensus is that he’s a good, nice guy, who had a date gone wrong with a chick, who’s a little crazy.

The people that liked him before this episode appear to support him. The people who don’t support him appear to not have ever heard of him before this.

He’s probably even going to get laid more as a result.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.