1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic ... any thoughts ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say it, this smells of a modern day "The National." It just does. I mean nobody's making any money in the news business. ESPN even. I'm just expecting the day the hammer hits and they simply fold The Athletic. Not wishing ill on it, just seems like "why would this work if nothing else is working?"

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But I do think that those who jumped to The National raised their profile. Ray Ratto went from the Peninsula Times Tribune to The National - to lead columnist at the Examiner and then Chronicle. Writers went from "local legends" to national voices. The Bay Area may be down to one paper in a few years - might as well take a shot at widening your exposure.

Tweener and Fran Curci like this.
  3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Clearly "Citizen Kane" must never be permitted to be shown on television or in theaters again, what with Kane's Dream Team of newspaper reporters being all-white, all-male. No sir, 1941 portrayals of an industry in the 1890s shall not stand.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just signed up, they had a more than half-off deal in honor of Corey Kluber's Cy Young, something like $28/year. Gotta be worth it, right?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I signed up 2+ months ago, paying something like $39.95 for the year. Been satisfied so far, though I went zero-sum on a couple others, dropping Sports Illustrated and ESPN Insider to move $ over here. Really enjoy the tranquil Web site that doesn't attack me with ads or assault me with videos and immediate audio.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Quick Q and maybe it has been said earlier in this thread but I don't feel like rummaging through 17 pages - do you get ALL of the The Athletic for a subscription? In other words, do you get access to each city page/content plus all the national pages/content?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, all of it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Axios agrees:

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Journalism has become Logan's Run.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So, newspaper suits, The Athletic, God bless them, is hiring tons of BIG NAME writers. That's their Mojo. They think sports fans will pay for the quality (and breaking news) provided by NAME reporters. They think the name of the writer is important. They disagree with the newspaper suits that "anybody can do the job." Well, suits. You've in your cocky way laid off so many famous reporters, longtime reporters. And now the Athletic is saying, Ha Ha. We'll take them. We WANT them. Wonder what the newspaper suits are saying now. Are they saying: "Let The Athletic have them. We'll just save more money hiring kids out of J-school." Newspapers are an EMBARRASSMENT. Thank you, The Athletic for respecting the well connected, name reporter.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Athletic has at least one more Newsday defection coming imminently.

Draft saved Draft deleted