1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using different word processors

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by MeanGreenATO, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I know most writers generally use Microsoft Word while working on their #craft, but I wondered if anybody used anything else. If so, has anybody seen a difference in the writing process?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Honestly, the best answer I have for that is this. If you don't use Word or at least something that results in .txt or .docx files, you're going to be making it difficult for others to access your work. In this case, the simple answer is the best answer.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't used anything but Google Docs in years.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I know Google Docs is a fan favorite, but I've never been a huge fan. I just switched over to WriteMonkey. We'll see how that works. I've never been a huge fan of Word, for whatever reason. I think it might have something to do with being too white or just having too much going on.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You can customize Word to present you a simpler/cleaner page, too. Also turn off things like spellcheck/grammar in Preferences if you find them intrusive.

Maybe experiment a little with apps and applets, things like Notes or Google Docs or Text Edit. Some of this depends on whether you're writing on a Mac or a Windows machine.

Sadly, the days of 5 or 6 word processing programs are long behind us, and as shottie points out, even if there were more choices, you need to be making files compatible with what publishers can read and process.

That said, if you're not writing deadline stuff, if you're trying to write fiction or poetry or even the first draft of a personal essay or whatever, try writing longhand. You'll be surprised at how connected you feel to the page, and how tactile a thing writing can be.

Let us know how you like WriteMonkey.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

By the time I began using Word I had already learned about 10 different word processing programs, including some in the early days that were proprietary, and had grown weary of learning a new one every year or two, so I've mostly stuck with Word this century. But I do convert a lot of files into txt files upon completion for use on apps and websites. We had people (most lawyers) in my office using WordPerfect until '99 or 2000.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a list of obsolete word processing programs. I've used or tried something like 15 of them since the early 1980s.

For some reason, my favorite over that period was a thing called "Pro Write." Which was not very good, nor was it updated after about 1994.

Word Perfect, Word Star, Lotus Symphony, Easy Writer, EZ Word, Mind Write, Write Type, etc., world without end, amen.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was talking to another writer who thinks we'll all be using Google Docs soon (in magazines, she was meaning). I really don't like it. I can't imagine using anything other than Word.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

OpenOffice isn't quite the MS version, but it's close enough for my purposes. Similar interface, saves in .doc and .txt if you tell it to (.xml/.xls for spreadsheets), can export as a .pdf, and free.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. JoshuaRobinson30

JoshuaRobinson30 New Member

Microsoft word has the best overall set of advanced formatting options. Also, if you have to send work to anyone else for contributions, everyone has a program that can open word files.

Draft saved Draft deleted