1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTH is happening in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is that a denouncement?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only thing missing in Inky's post was #nottheonion

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think the guild is overplaying its hand a tad. I was expecting to read some off-the-rails John Bircher stuff. That editorial isn't something that should cause such a freakout. Aside from wishing he had taken the president to task for being so crass, he makes a great point about people wanting to label instead of debate. If the Dems don't get a DACA deal, was the latest shaming of Trump worth it?

"Having chosen the ultimate epithet, I have dodged the obligation to converse or build."

Fewer things are more true in political "discourse" in 2018.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

There's apparently more to this than just a repugnant editorial. This story is also goinf around today:

he union representing Pittsburgh Post-Gazettenewsroom employees has confirmed what it’s calling the first unfair labor complaint filed against ownership in decades.

The filing, submitted to the National Labor Relations Board, was obtained by The Incline on Friday, one week after it was filed by The Newspaper Guild of Pittsburgh – CWA Local 3806, which represents 150 staff at the Post-Gazette. Those staff include reporters, photographers, artists, paginators, web managers, videographers and copy editors.

The issue is this: The union says the paper is refusing to pay an increase in employee health care premiums in the middle of ongoing contract talks. The union says that amounts to a violation of the law. (The Post-Gazette’s owners disagree, though they did not respond to The Incline’s requests for comment.)

The union representing Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newsroom employees files first unfair labor complaint against ownership in decades

stix likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The publisher, who I believe is a proud Trumpist, has a couple of astonishing points.
    1) The only people who deserve to be called racists are those as extreme and overt as Dylann Roof, who killed several people because they were black, and police chief Bull Connor, who abused the authority of his office to inflict physical harm on black people. By the Trumpist publisher's definition, Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond and George Wallace, who did not dole out physical suffering but were proficient in their use of verbal/rhetorical hatred, cannot be called racists. If they are so labeled, they are victims.
    2) "Did the president use a crudity in a private meeting? He says he did not. No one who was there has said he did on the record."
    Uh, false. Meet Sen. Durbin:
    Sen. Dick Durbin asserts Trump said 'shithole countries' - CNNPolitics

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In defending Trump, the editorial closed with: "We have to stop calling each other names in this country and battle each other with ideas and issues, not slanders."

That is rich.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The other Blocks ain't happy.
    [​IMG]

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The "rogue publisher editorial." An instant classic.

What an inane, ridiculous editorial this is, but I'm not going to debate politics. This isn't the first and won't be the last time a publisher pisses off a union shop by writing a stupid editorial.

I've seen this shit before: Right-wing businessman publisher (and no offense to conservatives at all, it's just most newspaper reporters tend to be liberal) puffs out his chest because he's in a contract battle with the union and writes an editorial because he wants you to know he's "the boss."

I've seen this before. The content of this pile of shit piece? Whatever. I'll let others get angry over that.

My journalistic sensibilities tend to be more offended by somebody who thinks he can write an editorial because he owns the paper. This piece is littered with false equivalencies, straw man bullshit, poor logic and just, in general, the type of poor editorial judgment that exists in someone 2 months out of J school.

I've penned a few shithead editorials in my younger days I wish I had not and that now make me cringe (granted, the subject matter was not nearly as controversial, so nobody cared too much).

This is like an NFL owner wanting to make draft picks. Let the experts do that. Just cause you own the thing doesnt mean you know nearly as much as what the people you pay do.

In summary: Publisher wants to prove he can write an editorial and bombs miserably.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I think SoloFlyer nailed it: In terms of our business, this is publisher vs. the union.

His political/social opinions are his own, and he's free to have them. But I firmly believe he's pretty much writing this because he's frustrated and wants to shove his opinions up his union's ass. His own family denounced it.

He's angry at his "liberal, left-wing" union, in the same way an NFL owner gets jealous of his coach and GM getting the credit for winning a Super Bowl.

Just my take, I could obviously be wrong.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt you're wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted