1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Part Of 5th Grade?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I still remember Mr. Atkinson because during 5th grade one day we were working on our assignments and he put on CCR's Cosmo's Factory, he was so cool. Oh yeah, I got into my last real fight, one of the bullies was cheating at a game and I got fed up and went after him. Got bloodied but was never bothered again.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

5th grade was tremendous for the special tutoring and nude mimeographs of the teacher that I received #earlypoin

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My fifth-grade teacher had a nervous breakdown. I'd like to say I wasn't part of the cause, but I was.

Me, my best friend, Paul, and Kent were the worst little shits. Tammy wasn't much better.

Paul once pulled his weenie out in class on a dare. I once had to stand in the corner, where I promptly let out a long, toxic fart.

The poor woman looked just like the picture of the witch she put up for Halloween, but she was a nice lady.

I think the end was when she went to smack my desk with her trusty yardstick and it shattered into pieces. The whole class erupted. She was gone soon after.

Replaced by a man. The first male teacher I had. But he was cool ... if you went up and did problems on the chalkboard, he gave you candy bars. Real ones, too, not that miscalled "fun size" shit. Of course, this was 1974-75, when you could buy a bag of them for a dollar.

I do feel bad for Mrs. Page. But she was a tough act to follow. My fourth-grade teacher was my all-time favorite and a real cutie. Had a huge crush on her. Gave me a boner every time she called me up to her desk -- before I even knew what boners were for.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Diving off the high dive in swimming class. I never did grasp the blowing out my nose when I went underwater. I was scared shitless every time swimming class came up.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I remember 4th grade because it's when I changed schools and Reagan got shot.

I remember 6th grade because it's when I went back to my original school and soon got into a fight with Carlos at the white fence.

I don't remember anything about 5th grade. Not my teacher. Not a single thing I did that year. Weird that an entire year can slip your mind like that.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My fifth grade teacher was pregnant and one of my friend's mom was our long-term substitute once she took her leave. Atrocious teacher.

After a couple weeks I finally had the gall to tell my friend that his mom was awful at this. Like didn't know basic historical facts awful. Asked students to explain basic math concepts to her awful.

He just turned to me and said something like, "You think I don't know that?"

I also used the internet for the first time and got my first email account on Gopher with its endless menus thst year.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My dad died on Feb. 12 of my fifth-grade year so, yeah, that one kind of stands out to me. Really shitty year. Hated my teacher, too. She was only 23 and not equipped to deal with a kid who just lost his dad. I remember my brother going in for a "parent-teacher" conference one day (he was a little bit older than her) and laying into her.

Fortunately, my sixth-grade teacher was excellent.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I remember Grade 5 because that's the year the bullying that began in Grade 4 got so bad I begged to be taken out of the school.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm almost 57, and I still find the whole head underwater thing unnerving. :eek:

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I remember now ... 5th grade is when I sustained a terrible concussion. Was running in the front yard, wet sidewalk, slipped and slammed the back of my head on the pavement. Fucked me good.

Dad didn't seem to care that I was crying and telling him that I can't remember anything and that my head was spinning. That led to puking.

Parents didn't take me to ER for 3-4 days. Kind of says a lot. Explains why I don't remember much of 5th grade.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My fifth grade teacher owned about 30 ukuleles and learning to play them was our music class for the entire school year. We put on a concert for the whole middle school at the end of the year, played "Tom Dooley," "North to Alaska," "Sixteen Tons" --- all the hits.

I kinda wish I still remembered how to play.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. As I am reading this, I imagine a 5th-grade version of Bobby Heenan.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted