1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

screen-shot-2014-04-25-at-8-42-19-am-1.png

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Conservative hero Clay Travis will lose his mind.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If ESPN wants to cut costs, then P. Manning is out. He'd want as much or more than Gruden. Tedi Bruschi is their best studio talent, but he's not enough of a name.

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

If ESPN is paying as much as it is for MNF broadcast rights, I don't think you cut costs on the announce team, is my opinion. Penny wise, pound foolish, etc.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pulling someone over from CBS or Fox might be good. I think Arians would be tremendous as well.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But saving $6 million is still saving $6 million no matter what business you're in. Clear cost-cutting measure. Told him to find a job, and he did.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think Gruden was pushed. I think he realized that if he ever wanted to coach again he was at a stage where he needed to come back.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Getting $100 million contract he'll likely not have to earn in full because a crazy person will fire him after six years might have had something to do with it.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This could very well be the case. But I like my argument better because it has conspiracy theory to it and everybody loves a good conspiracy theory.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN is paying Greenberg, Beadle and Rose a combined $14.5 million per year mostly to host Get Up! Who knows how much the show really costs.

ESPN Plans to Wake Up Woke With New Morning Show

My goodness that’s a large investment in a traditional morning show on a network bleeding viewers and cutting so many employees.

I think you could show SEC football reruns and get about the same viewership.

(Also: that show is going to be plenty liberal based on the comments.)

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the price tag but Beadle and Rose work well together.

Those 2 and Chauncey are a fantastic trio on the NBA Countdown.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It'll be on radio simultaneously, right? That might, repeat might, make the economics viable. But the last thing the world needs is another morning sports talk show. It needs fewer as a matter of fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted