1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha, but no. Fan mail is not my thing. I never understood the point.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I was 11 or 12 I sent Barry Switzer a pack of Switzer's and asked for an Oklahoma practice football.

He sent me an OU media guide instead.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My little brother was about that age and read some story about Latrell Sprewell overcoming some hardship or another. He thought it was cool and wrote to tell him so. A few weeks later he got a package with all kinds of signed stuff. A basketball card, couple of posters, a T-shirt, I think a couple other little things.

Then a few more weeks go by and Sprewell had the choking incident. I go down to my brother's room and all that stuff was ripped off the wall and torn to shreds.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My friend, Randy Taraborrelli, writes his very successful biographies on The Kennedys, Beyonce, etc. at a booth at a Sherman Oaks Starbucks at 6 a.m. every single morning. He's a machine.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I use the coffitivity app, while I'm in a coffee shop; I once tweeted about the vortex within the space-time continuum that this action caused, and I received my most retweets ever. Clearly, I'm not the only one who uses canned coffee shop noise to drown out noise while in a coffee shop.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The coffee-shop woman knew how I wanted my sandwich today. I'm not sure I can do this anymore.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's always good to be thought of as a regular - whether at a bar or restaurant. Or, I guess, coffee shop. But they better damn well have iced tea if they want my business.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I changed my order today just to keep her on her toes. But she did refer to "my" table.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

expendable likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I became a regular at this barbecue restaurant down the road from my apartment. Two, three times a week I'd go in there for lunch and get the "House Special" (sliced, no slaw, regular sauce, with fries and a Coke). There was a young lady working behind the counter ... I got to be such a fixture that as soon as she saw me come in she'd flash a smile and call out the order.

I had a bit of a crush on her, but did I, the quintessence of the lonely bachelor, ever do anything other than go in there for barbecue? Oh hell no. What a dumbass I was.

The man in the movie was right ... youth is wasted on the young.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Am I the only one still working in a library?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've always had an office, but I worked at the library when I lost power at my house in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. It's nearby with a pleasant, sunny room, plenty of seating, reliable wifi and quiet.

Draft saved Draft deleted