1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think a lot about the Ansari story hinges on how much stock you want to put in her "verbal and non-verbal cues."

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I know it's Louis CK, and he's a creepy weirdo, but I'm still allowed to think that he's also really smart and insightful about a lot of things. This account of a date where the girl was resisting him, but she wanted him to go for it, is a pretty funny swing at the miscommunication that can happen around sex.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They watched Seinfeld!

Would love to know which episode.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And the uncomfortable reality is that men have been taught by society that it’s ok to ignore her verbal cues. Look at how many men read the article and insist she never said no. It just sort of doesn’t land in the brain.

5. typefitter

Rick, would you agree that the messages were at least mixed? I mean, two oral sex sessions would muddy the waters for me, I think. I would take that as a fairly strong nonverbal cue.

6. Dick Whitman

The men I get.

The pushback from women has floored me, to be honest.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Songbird

Why though? In a way it's women policing each other. I don't think we as guys can understand why women police each other the way they do.

You want the women to believe as you do -- as an enlightened male -- but they're not and that's throwing you for a loop.

8. typefitter

The pushback from women is because they know that including a situation like Ansari's in #MeToo softens the appearance of every other accused. You know who's thrilled by the Ansari accusation? Louis CK.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pete, YankeeFan, lakefront and 5 others like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Many (most?) women would see the things she did willingly as contra-indicators to the story she is telling now, though.

Also there was ample opportunity to simply walk out of the apartment and end the date at the first sign of discomfort.

This is not a Weinstein situation here.

11. Songbird

2 and the foul.

12. Dick Whitman

I would agree that she didn't handle things great. That said, her behavior is somewhat of a red herring. It doesn't really mitigate her bad behavior. Is the argument that, by staying, she indicated she was still a chance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.