1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Saw Darkest Hour last night.

Gary Oldham was excellent as Churchill, but it was a little difficult to follow in spots. Took a while to be able to figure out who the other guys were, except for Chamberlain. Also, both I and the Oldest thought they would have gone beyond the day of the Dunkirk evacuation.

Enjoyed the subway scene.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You know what under-the-radar movies I love, and can watch again and again, even though each is basically the same movie with a different setting? The Trip movies with Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden. God, I love them. The Trip, The Trip to Italy, The Trip to Spain... Every time they do the Michael Caine bit, and they do it in all three movies, I giggle myself silly. Coogan's pride about Philomena in The Trip to Spain is great, too.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw matinee of "The Post" yesterday, fantastic story and loved the scenes of the actual printing of the newspapers. Hanks and Streep are excellent.

"Detroit"; wow, one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. The story is so terrible though, I can see why there was really no target market for it. Historical reminder but everyone looks bad and there's no uplifting message at the end, just "damn, sucks for those who had to live through it."

4. typefitter

I'm a little worried that The Post is both excellent and I can tell you the entire plot of the movie and how it's performed without actually seeing it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Post is fine. Streep's great, Hanks not so much, they have an extended, let-the-camera-roll scene early in the movie and Streep won it. (There's another one later between Streep and Brie and Brie hangs in pretty well.) The movie's really about Graham, and that's a nice story overall.

It's Spielberg, so there's BS Spielberg touches that I now find annoying. The coins falling off the phone, the car almost hitting a kid, going to the wrong floor of a building, only to get on the elevator and...a lot of crackerjack stuff. There's a couple scenes near the end that are sheer blarney.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's a little hard to go into a movie like that because you know how it is supposed to play out because this is literally taught in J school. I wasn't expecting them to use the dramatic tension they went with. The story is really a character development piece set within one of the most pivotal moments in US history. At times the character development angle turned me off from the movie but the payoff was good.

And just because I worked next to one for a few years, I was really happy they showed the workings of the press. Made me smile.

7. typefitter

I hear you guys. I just... I don't know. I saw the trailer for The Post with my girlfriend and we both had the same reaction: I'm sure that's excellent, very professionally made, and I don't think I need to see it.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just saw "The Shape of Water" which may be one of the most beautiful movies I've seen in years. Glorious story with stellar performances from all the actors. Can't recommend this highly enough for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thank you for saving me the trouble of writing this.

Both the coins and the two separate nearly hit by a car scenes were irksomely high-gloss Spielberg.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Watched "Dead Poets Society" again.

It was always a good one to me. Still a great movie, and that last scene that is equal parts declaration/apology to Mr. Keaton by the class is so wonderful.

The whole movie also reminds you of the terrible loss of talent that was Robin Williams. And, in light of the movie, kind of ironic, and so sad.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It cracks me up that people bash on that movie. I was a senior in college when it came out and we used to re-watch that movie all the time. It’s a pantheon level romantic comedy. Now people may hate that genre, but to me that just means you’re a smoldering, self-serious asshole. I wish there were five weddings!

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

i
    One of my all-time favorites, and I've watched it within the last couple of weeks, too. I remember seeing a extended version on TV once with some restored scenes that had been cut from the final release. I wish my DVD had them.

The one tiny quibble I have with the film is the scene where Neil and Todd are talking about being in the club and participating, and Todd says he's not like Neil: "You say things and people listen. I'm not like that." Neil responds, "Don't you think you could be?" It's a tiny thing, but it bothers me because it's perfectly OK to be a follower and not a leader.

But I still love the movie.

Today I watched "The Falcon and the Snowman." Had never seen it before. It came out in 1985; I really don't know how I missed it.

Hoping to see "The Post" tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted