1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round Thread: Another Step on the March to the Eagles-Titans Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 9, 2018.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was reading this thread from back to front and couldn't figure out why the hell Cal's/49ers' radio broadcaster would even care about the Steelers.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, due respect to the Joe Starkey in Pittsburgh, I doubt many people outside of that city know about him.

3. outofplace

Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least 3 more seasons; Todd Haley may not return

It sounds like Haley is going to be gone and his lousy relationship with Roethlisberger will be the reason. I don't love the use of anonymous sources, but Bouchette knows his stuff.

4. Maybe Arians will come out retirement?
    half-joking.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Too bad there's not an Electoral College in the NFL. I kid, I kid. ;)

QYFW likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Steelers need to move on from some of the players who don't want to be there anymore. I figure it might be addition by subtraction. I get salary disputes and negotiation, but days before a playoff game? Buh, bye.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Not bad, but I'll take the Star Tribune sports front with the Let's Skol Crazy headline.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You’d move on from Leveon Bell?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At minimum, I would be sure that he understood that it was a consideration. Tomlin has a rep for keeping his players in line and this season that doesn't seem to have been the case.

10. outofplace

It would actually make some sense because Roethlisberger loves him, but I doubt Arians would want it. It's going to be Fichtner or Munchak.

11. outofplace

They are not moving on from Bell. It's not going to happen. They are going to tag him. He's going to whine about it and hold out. He will give in before the season, suck the first month, and then play. Then he will leave as a free agent after the 2018 season.

Look at what Bell did Sunday. Both of his touchdowns were great efforts on his part. His numbers were solid despite the team's idiotic insistence on running outside no matter how many times the Jaguars blew those plays up. He sure didn't look distracted.

The only guy who ran his mouth and sucked was Mike Mitchell, but he always sucks. That has nothing to do with running his mouth.

People are getting way too caught up in the narrative about the players being distracted or talking about other crap. They did that all year and won 13 games. That isn't why they lost. They were out of sync early due to the long layoff, the coaches made some bad decisions, the defense sucks and they got the raw end of a few calls by the officials. That's it. And really, I'm not sure I should include the last part of that list, because it makes it sound like they didn't deserve to lose. They did.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I listened to the Vikings' radio call, and it is really a pet peeve of mine when color guys interject during the run of play with OH MY GOD or other such nonsense. The play by play guy was great. But many NFL radio color guys do this as well. Screaming nonsense.

I assume if you are listening to the radio you are relying on the radio for the description. The color guy screaming OH MY GOD or I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! just muddies the water of what you are trying to hear.

Stay in your lane.

Draft saved Draft deleted