1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Gurney

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 14, 2018.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

First American to win in Formula 1, Indianapolis-style cars and NASCAR. Co-drove with A.J. Foyt to victory in the 1967 LeMans. Absolutely owned Riverside International Raceway in anything and everything. Designed some of the best-looking race cars ever.

He's on my short list of greatest all-around American drivers ever.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146728-dan-gurney-1931-2018#!1959_Portugal_Ferrari

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Who is the greatest American driver?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A.J.

maumann likes this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I never saw him race, although I did get to see some of his drivers race in the 80s when he was running All American Racing. Some of the old-timers I grew up around used to rave about how good he was in the 60s. Always heard him described as the greatest driver to race the 500 without winning.

As to the greatest American driver? I don't know how you get around Mario Andretti's F1 title, multiple IndyCar titles, Indy 500 and Daytona 500 wins.

maumann likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's a good question. For me the short list is probably Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney and maybe Phil Hill.

I'll go with Mario.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seriously? Foyt.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Gurney stepped out of the cockpit while still young. Same with Penske. Both had incredible accomplishments after giving up driving.
    I didn't realize until reading the LA Times obit that Gurney started the trend of spraying with champagne from the victory podium in 1967.
    I'd forgotten half of Gurney's accomplishments. It's too bad how most racers today stick to one type of racing. That's why it's so refreshing to see guys like Alonso, Larson, etc.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing about racing. But my reservation with calling Foyt the greatest ever is that I don't know how much road racing he did. Foyt was great in USAC and did well when he drove NASCAR. If you want to call Foyt the greatest oval track driver I think I would agree. But Andretti accomplished a lot on ovals and won a Formula One Championship.

9. maumann

Foyt and Gurney paired up to win the 1967 LeMans in the Ford GT, but because Gurney overslept and missed a driver change, Foyt drove 18 of the 24 hours. He's won the 24 Hours of Daytona, including setting the fastest lap of the race in a heavy rain. He's won the 12 Hours of Sebring. He won the Bahamas Speed Week, joining names like Gurney, Roger Penske and Phil Hill. He won multiple road course races in USAC.

That makes Foyt the only driver to have won the Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, 24 Hours of Daytona, 24 Hours of Le Mans and 12 Hours of Sebring.

He drove in 35 consecutive Indy 500s, is the only driver to win the 500 in both rear-engined and front-engined cars, has seven Indy-car championships (including 10 wins in 13 races in 1964) and his 67 career victories is 15 more than second-place Mario Andretti and 25 more than third-place Michael Andretti. His 138 USAC victories remains a record, even though he hasn't competed in USAC for almost 35 years. He won four USAC stock car titles, seven NASCAR races, is a two-time winner of the International Race of Champions and was named as one of NASCAR's 50 greatest drivers despite never running that circuit full-time. He also owns the world closed-course speed record at 257.123 mph, which he set at age 52.

Plus he co-designed the Coyote and was heavily involved in the design of the Ford racing engine that powered his cars in the 1970s. He's also won the Indy 500 as a car owner, and fielded a NASCAR team for several seasons.

My favorite line -- and don't know who wrote it -- has always been, "If the Indianapolis 500 was determined by the first driver to put together the car and then race the 500 miles, A.J. Foyt would be sipping milk in Victory Circle before the other 32 drivers found out where the tool box was located."

10. maumann

If I'm picking a short list ...

1a. Foyt
    1b. Mario (born in Italy, but counts as an "American driver" in this context)
    3. Gurney
    4. Mark Donohue
    5. Phil Hill

David Pearson, Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Bill Vukovich are also worthy of inclusion as greatest American drivers, but this is "all-around" best.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Kind of a depressingly old list, isn't it? Really shows you how NASCAR-centric racing has become for American drivers. I would have loved to have seen Jeff Gordon competing in F1 or Le Mans, and it's hard to rate him higher without that kind of experience.

wicked and maumann like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very depressing. And sad that someone like young'un Josef Newgarden, the reigning IndyCar champion with a boatload of talent, might not get those kinds of experiences either. All the series now are so territorial too, a guy like Newgarden isn't likely to try the Daytona 500 due to politics and such. There will still be one-offs at Indy, but those aren't completely satisfying either. If Kurt Busch could finish sixth as a rookie, what might he have done if he came back the next year?

I miss IROC too.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted