1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why in the name of all that's holy do they put the teams and media in Newport Beach? I know it's nice there, but that's insane. LA's got lots of hotels.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is there a link for that? Or did you have to type that all in yourself?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Anybody who defines Nashville or New Orleans (and, here lately, Austin) as a "great college football town" deserves the "deplorables" label.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's a Keith Jackson "tribute" from the same board:

* Turd = Tide

Now, some of that is true. He WAS a Big 10/Pac 10 fan to whom the Rose Bowl was Olympus. And he DID campaign against Manning for the Heisman (Griese basically disagreed with him on-air and said Peyton had done everything a player can do to earn the award).

But it's still a pretty deplorable post. You oughta see the politics forum on there. About 500 deplorables and 1-2 "libtards"

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Like no one saw this coming

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Apparently accepted a month before the game. Odd. I guess Saban would lose half his starters if a commitment to the team going forward was a requirement. I've always wondered - does the NCAA have eligibility rules rules regarding grades for players? Could say, a player who knows he's going pro at the end of the season and blows off his classes still play in the bowl game(s) even though he wouldn't be eligible for the winter term? Figure the extension of the bowl season into the start of the winter term could give rise to a team playing with an ineligible player?
    I would love to see a team have to forfeit a championship due to grades. And I realize the NCAA doesn't "do" FCS football - but imagine if a report came out that 10 players on a championship team weren't eligible to play.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's the APR, which people like to think doesn't really matter, but it did keep Connecticut out of the NCAA tournament one year.

Thing is, there are so many scholarship players in football that 1 or 2 guys not going to class can't torpedo your APR the way it can in basketball.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Didn't Bama push back the start of its second semester when the playoff system started so there wouldn't be any eligibility issues?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A player has to be academically eligible after the end of the fall semester (or relevant quarter) in order to be eligible for the bowl game. It's as if the bowl takes place in a different season, and the player has to be eligible for that season. Players becoming ineligible happens -- I recall Florida State losing a bunch of players for its bowl game several years ago.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Let's just hope you didn't wander over to the political board.

Draft saved Draft deleted