1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-Media for SEC, other top college football programs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AJC SEC, Jan 14, 2018.

1. AJC SEC

AJC SEC Member

Cox Media Group’s Sports Verticals (SEC Country, Land of 10, DieHards) is currently seeking multi-media personalities that can fill a variety of roles. The ideal candidate will be able to host a 30-minute podcast five days per week, a podcast that will also be broadcast on Facebook Live. Other duties include postgame reaction videos, pregame FB Live videos and other video-related appearances and shows. The position will need someone who is comfortable on camera, passionate in his or her opinions and able to connect with an audience. We are targeting 11 schools for this new position, and the ideal candidate would be a fan of the team they are broadcasting to. In short, we are looking for a skilled, professional and passionate fan for each of the following schools:
    • Alabama
    • Florida
    • Florida State
    • Oklahoma
    • Texas
    • Ohio State
    • Michigan
    • Penn State
    • Notre Dame
    • Clemson
    • Tennessee

The ideal candidate for each school would be comfortable on social media and be able to captivate an audience on a number of fronts. This person could grow to become the face of our school-oriented coverage for his/her team and the ability to connect with and drive audience will be considered a top priority. We are looking for someone who can dive into the universe of Alabama or Florida football to become a trusted voice in that community. We prefer candidates with experience on camera, but engaging radio personalities, former players, writers….All are encouraged to apply.

In addition to podcasting and FB Live shows, the position would need to be flexible enough to provide other content as needed, such as breaking news reports or an occasional column.

The position will either be based in Atlanta or the college town of each of the 11 teams listed above.

This is a new position, and one that requires a varied skillset. We are looking to connect with our audience on every level, and a flexible, engaging candidate is preferred. If you’re not a fan of any of the 11 schools listed above, this job probably doesn’t work for you. We are looking for passionate fans with professional chops, someone who can analyze what went wrong and celebrate what went right for his/her team. Additionally, this job will very likely be a 40-hours per week position.

Anyone interested can email podcast director Brandon Walker at brandon.walker@coxinc.com

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Not sure I've ever seen a journalism job posting where they want a "passionate fan" to cover the team. Cox Media --- did it used to do journalism?

Adam94 likes this.
  3. kygrad8

kygrad8 New Member

Get this shit off this board.

bpoindexter and Adam94 like this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Everything wrong with this industry summed up in one tidy paragraph.

5. Brandon Walker

Brandon Walker New Member

We are launching team-centric shows for Alabama, Florida, and the other nine teams listed above. We are following the model of our DawgNation coverage, which features Brandon Adams hosting a UGA Facebook Live show that does about 40,000 views each day. We are looking for someone who can connect with fans and build audience on a team-by-team basis. That includes a 30-minute podcast along with reaction videos along with a weekly column. It's a unique position, no doubt. This is not a classic beat writer position.

If this job isn't for you, it isn't for you. But it's a full-time job that will be a great landing spot for 11 people.

Anyone with any further questions can email me.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

So if you’re a beat writer for one of these schools and you’re not a fan, should you be worried?

7. Brandon Walker

No. These are new positions. They will join the beat writers and recruiting writers we already have at each school.

8. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Since the last time I criticized Cox's strategies on this board, they shuttered the disastrous All22. This sounds like it has more of a fleshed-out strategy behind it than their doomed NFL site, but if the direction sports journalism is headed includes "posting reaction videos" then I don't want to be involved in the industry. Luckily Cox doesn't resemble or represent most of the rest of the industry. I'm just saying, they clearly want to hire "professional fans," not reporters or columnists.

9. Brandon Walker

If you hate the idea of this job, then you hate it. That's ok. We have beat writers. We have recruiting writers. And we have some of the best in the business on both fronts. We'd like to round out our coverage with someone who can engage and resonate with fans through video, a column, a podcast and other avenues. We are seeking someone who can take to Facebook Live 10 minutes after a game and talk with his/her audience about what just happened in addition to the engagement opportunities I already mentioned. Again, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

I feel that it's an outstanding opportunity for others and I look forward to hearing from them.

10. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

Then post on a fan message board instead a professional journalist job message board...

Adam94 likes this.
  11. Brandon Walker

I appreciate all the interest we've received so far. Keep it coming. This is a very good opportunity for the right candidates.

Scott Hansen likes this.
  12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Cox's right-wing news site, Rare, is still alive. Probably not for long.

Draft saved Draft deleted