1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017-18 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 30, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, Fox didn't disprove Elway in Chicago, and by all accounts, Kubiak's exit was health-related. He's back with the organization as a consultant, so clearly he didn't have a problem with how Elway treated him. Plus, Elway has a track record of success at every thing he's ever done in the NFL. Jones is going on a quarter-century without a trip beyond the conference semis.

QYFW likes this.
  2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot like Hue Jackson in Cleveland (and Oakland). Appreciative and loyal because he got the job, despite being over his head as HC at times. Didn't challenge Sashi Brown, and will never challenge John Dorsey, or anyone else in that front office.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It wouldn't shock me if Pete Carroll retires.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I really think the Patriots' dysfunction ends with Belichick as the most pursued coaching free agent in sports history.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Jones did even better than Elway at the beginning of his career, winning three Super Bowls. I think Elway did a good job of recruiting talented veterans to come to Denver. Once Manning signed he could offer a good team, an attractive city (it's my hometown, forgive any potential bias) and a historically good organization. The Broncos were able to sign Welker, Talib and several others.

But I don't think Elway has the patience to do a rebuild. In 2014 the offense averaged 30 points a game and was second in the league in scoring. Fox is fired and almost all the assistants leave. In comes Kubiak and a bunch of coaches who had previously coached or played with Elway in Denver. Offensively the idea is to run the ball better. The offense declines but the defense is great and the Broncos win the Super Bowl. Elway does not extend Wade Phillips contract and give him a raise (the Broncos had low balled him on salary when he signed).

After 2016 Kubiak retires. It is reported that Elway wanted to make staff changes that Kubiak did not agree with in. In any case, Rick Dennison, the offensive coordinator leaves. Phillips goes to the Rams. Mike McCoy, an OC under Fox comes back. So the offense is going full circle. McCoy lasts a half a season. While the current coordinators were retained this off season much of the rest of the staff was fired. Denver has turned into a revolving door.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is surprising how much authority GMs have come to have in the NFL. It's pretty close to baseball now in how much the front office dictates what happens on the field. A head coach who doesn't have the authority over his staff (and the mutual trust that goes with it) just isn't as effective. If I were a GM looking for a coach, I wouldn't want anyone who would demand anything less than full control over his staff - but I'd want to see him demand it.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sonofabitch.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm kind of sick right now. A deal like that kind of takes all the romance out of the hire - the idea that he wants to come back to the organization. He actually WOULD have coached at Tennessee, or wherever if they threw that much money at him. And 10 years? That's insane. Now if that includes incentives/attendance bonuses and profit participation - OK. Granted that Gruden is giving up about that amount with the ESPN deal and his endorsements...he may not have an ownership stake, but he definitely owns a big chunk of that organization now.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Unless he wins more than Paul Brown, Lombardi and Belichick, it's a sucker play. And of course, we all know Mark Davis has that in him.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That kind of money to hire a coach, yet they're bleeding so much they have to move the team.
    This league ...

Draft saved Draft deleted