1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Sherman Herald Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Della9250, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Sherman Herald Democrat, a six-day-per-week newspaper (No Monday edition) about an hour north of Dallas and just south of the Red River with a circulation around 15,000, is seeking a sports writer to add to what will be a two-man, plus stringers, staff.

The circulation area includes 31 high schools, which included three state champions, two runner-ups and another state qualifier from 2016-17, Division III Austin College, Division II Southeastern Oklahoma State and JUCO Grayson College.

The position requires an all-sport beat for one of the two biggest high schools, Class 5A Sherman, which includes game coverage, previews and features in both the paper and online coverage, as well as assisting on coverage of other area programs throughout the school year. Photgraphy skills are a plus since they will be needed at times. Social media contributions via Facebook and Twitter are also a part of the job. Pagination is also required, at least one page per weekday up to as many as five depending on the schedule. Nights and weekends are obviously a must.

Daily newspaper experience is not required. Recent college graduates will receive strong consideration.

Applicants can send a résumé, including references, cover letter and six to eight clips to sports@heralddemocrat.com

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

This was my first job (unless you count a weekly I stayed at for three months before getting this) and it was a great place to cut my teeth and do everything in a great area for HS sports. It's cheap to live there, and Jason is a great guy to work with.

Highly recommend this for a young person.

3. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

What is the expected pay range for this position?

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

My little sister graduated from Austin College and her first teaching job was at Sherman High.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

This position has been filled

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Open again.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How can a paper in Cowboys country not print on Mondays in the fall?

8. Della9250

It is open, and it will stay that way until a hiring freeze is lifted, hopefully before the end of January.

9. Della9250

Because when you only print six days a week, decisions get made based on revenue

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From the OP, I don't think the Cowboys are a priority.

11. Della9250

We use wire for the Cowboys throughout the week.

Up until this past February, the paper did not print a Saturday edition. It was deemed to be more profitable to print a Saturday and do away with a Monday edition.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I just figured everyone within 100 miles of Dallas wanted to read about their Cowboys. The NFL is the only reason some places I've been still publish on a Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted