1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak train derails in Washington state

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 18, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This will probably be the nail in the coffin for high-speed rails in this country.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Calling this high speed rail confuses the issue. It's not the Acela, which runs up to 140 mph. And much of the Pacific Northwest has been hostile to rail development of all types, including rejecting proposed construction of export terminals for coal, oil or grain. Classic NIMBY behavior and pandering on the part of politicians. And, Amtrak's ridership has never been higher.

Wait until the cause of the derailment is determined, THEN jump to conclusions.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That story was published 13 days ago. Unreal.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The story had concerns from the mayor about injuries at grade crossings. That did not happen here. Reports I've read suggest an object was on the track, causing the derailment.

goalmouth likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Long Island Rail Road commuter trains run at 79 m.p.h. top speed. That's why grade crossings frequently have lights, horns, bells and gates.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

They have lights, horns, bells and gates because of dumbasses who don't understand physics.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It's been like that for many years. I drove under that bridge many times when I lived in Lacey, which is just a few miles to the south, and the graffiti looked like that. I last lived there in 2005.
    I'll be curious to see what they find caused this. First day of this controversial new route, which is far less scenic than the old route. Awful PR for Amtrak.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only three fatalities reported as of my late local news. Amazing.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Vombatus

Human error strikes again.

11. Vombatus

First:

How did initial reports have six dead and then the count drop to three? That befuddles me. Yes, I know reporting is very dynamic in the early stages, and the original count probably came from a railroad person or Sheriff/EMS, but still, hell, how does that number get so screwed up?

[I've been around railroad derailments as body bags are zipped up.]

Second:

Ugh. People knew that was a bad curve, and wanted to fix it, but a straighter route was cut from the budget to save $400+ million.

Curve and emergency brakes played role in Amtrak crash | Daily Mail Online

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Alex jones said it was an act of Antifa terrorism? Has that been confirmed by Fox and Friends yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted