1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I've seen every Eastwood movie. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, even White Hunter Black Heart, Tightrope and Bloodwork, I really liked True Crime because it took place (in part) in one of my old haunts.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Shape of Water is excellent. Visually striking, very cool '60s setting (I want the lead character's vintage record player), and Octavia Spencer excellent again playing someone who works in a 1960s-era government facility. And that lead character, played by Sally Hawkins, spends a decent amount of time naked ... and she is SMOKING hot.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There's usually an annual showing of "The Sound of Music," and I caught this year's tonight.

I'm an admitted, unabashed fan of the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic, and have seen it oh, umpteen times. And tonight, I enjoyed it for...the umpteenth time.

It's just a beautiful movie. Really, how many movies are there that you can, truly correctly, describe that way?

And, from the first scene to the last, it's just so good. Even as old as it is (52 years!) and as tame as it would be considered to be now, it is still a great story, with great actors and great music that all give it strength, resonance and entertainment value, even today. To me, it's a gold-standard movie that still holds up well, and probably always will.

I Should Coco, lakefront and qtlaw like this.
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want to see ‘Shape of Water’ but I don’t think we’re going to make it.
    Going to have to wait for cable or video release.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I DVR'd it because it's just hands-down a Top 5 movie for me.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just returned from a preview screening of Downsizing.

Don't get your hopes up.

It can't decide if it's a comedy or wants to give a deep social message. So it half-asses both. It's two different movies in one, as the first hour is completely different from the second.

Not a bad movie, just not one that will live up to expectations. Will bomb at the box office.

7. Matt Damon is on a pretty big downswing lately.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Detroit. Compelling, intense. Boyega is terrific.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Door in the Floor. Did not know Mimi Rogers has such a huge rack. They appeared to me to be natural, too.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's why Tom Cruise was "into" her back in the 90's (or 80's). "Someone to Watch Over Me."

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"White Christmas" when I was just flipping channels during vacation. Forgot how funny Danny Kaye was, now I know where Seinfeld's Kramer (Michael Richards) stole all his physical humor. The similarities were striking.

Was fun to hear a musical again.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've only seen bits and pieces of "The Rapture" and have no idea if it's a good movie or not, but let's just say there are a couple of scenes that are glorious.

Draft saved Draft deleted