1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: Saturday night's all right for ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 12, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only if they are attached to sharks.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The chains actually ARE precise --- if you accept the premise that the ball spot is precise. System actually works well as far as identifying where the first down is. But each of the ball spots is a guessing game, so in any given series a team may need to go 10.02 yards or 9.98 yards to be awarded a first down. Laser first-down sightings won't change that.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with the card (aside from being folded over) is that there was no real way to make sure it was perfectly perpendicular to the flag. If Steratore angles it at all, it changes whether it's a first down or not. I was surprised he didn't drop to his hands and knees, get the football to eye level and look straight across to see if there was any daylight between the ball and the stick. That seems like it would have been the best way to determine it. Regardless, if it was short by .0001 of an inch, I'm fine with calling it a first down and getting the game moving again.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Using a piece of paper to determine a first down ion the NFL happened probably 25-30 years ago, I saw it on a telecast. I recall the league at that time advised its officials not to do it again, just make a call.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I never understand why a ball isn't spotted for first down purposes as the nearest yard (rounding up or down). Would save all of these issues.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because it's a game of inches, of course.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don't you encounter the same issues determining if it's 51% there or 49%?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You can always make it the yard marker farther from the end zone. It just seems that it is a guessing game which wastes time.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those of you who have complained in the past about SteelersSJ.com really should see the message boards for Steelers fans today. The rants and conspiracy theories are pure unintentional comedy.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure teams would be ecstatic to move past the chains only to have the ball moved back a foot to the "nearest yard."

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Refs make calls all the time on calls like the one last night. Why Steratore decided to whip out a piece of paper is beyond me. Just set himself and the league up for this criticism.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted