1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston U. professor: 'Jingle Bells' is racist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If a song was regularly performed in minstrel shows, does that make it inherently racist?
    Honest question.
    I mean if the content of the song outside of the minstrel show context is not racist, does a song's historical inclusion in mintrel shows make it racist?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

“Jingle Bells, shotgun shells” —

OK, I see the writer’s point.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, was I right to be a little creeped out the other day when I heard a version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" sung by Willie Nelson and Norah Jones? :confused:

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Tangential question: What did the Joker do? I always heard he got away, but my son says he took ballet, which is just so much bullshit.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seeing as he's the Joker, he probably murdered a lot of people thanks to that fuckwit Robin's incompetence.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Took ballet?
    The M-Fer got away!

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

KIDS THESE DAYS

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The two gay guys on Glee performed it

Does that make it all right?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am far from the World’s First Fully Formed Human Male, and that spot is taken anyway. But I’m not sure why it’s so outlandish the people find “Baby It’s Cold Outside” uncomfortable. I never heard the dumb thing until “Elf,” I don’t think. Now people act like we are attacking the pantheon here. The lyrics read like a “Saturday Night Live” skit in which Harvey Weinstein writes a Christmas carol.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because a lot of people aren’t capable of understanding that the things they had growing up aren’t perfect in every way.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I had a Frito Bandito eraser growing up. No, it wasn't perfect (couldn't really erase worth a shit). But I loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted