1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Dec 16, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

People who are watching a game like that are watching no matter what, so it's really a win-win for ESPN. It got a storyline to use on radio shows, halftime, etc., and an easy canned debate. He's selfish! No, he's protecting his future! Blah blah bleeping blah.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Apparently forgotten in the past few months: the thing with Taggart's bogus strength coach, who had no accreditation worth a damn and who worked players into dangerous levels of exhaustion in the first weeks of the brief Oregon tenure. Is that clownish strength coach going to FSU? One for the Democrat to take under consideration.

3. tapintoamerica

He's both selfish and protecting his future. And he's right to be both.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No disagreement here. Just amused at the "outrage" from the talking heads of the network broadcasting the game.

5. tapintoamerica

Why are you dragging David Byrne into this?

I Should Coco and playthrough like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FSU is a better job than Oregon, right up there with Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, ND, Bama and USC. Though the revenues and expenses of Oregon and FSU are surprisingly not as far apart as you would expect

7. tapintoamerica

Absolutely true.

8. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

I got one damn burning question:
    The Camellia Bowl is the Raycom Camellia Bowl. I read where Raycom, based in Montgomery, swallowed up CNHI, which relocated to Montgomery, and all were happily snuggled together at the bowl in Montgomery, and what a crap hole of a bowl game it was. So here's the question: Which quarters were the game employees furloughed?

Baron Scicluna, HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seriously, the only college sports fanbases who don't suffer from a severe sense of entitlement are the ones whose teams have never been very good.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

An indication of where I've come with bowl season: I took an hour drive to see my high school basketball team play yesterday rather than watch any of what was on.

And I'm looking forward to North Dakota State-James Madison more than any other game short of the two semifinals.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Now that 10 or 12 other programs have caught up (and even surpassed) with Oregon facilities-wise, Oregon's not that special anymore.

And it's been interesting to watch how Washington's rise/rebirth under Petersen has coincided with Oregon's decline.

Like Wisconsin and Iowa, Tennessee and South Carolina and some other pairs in neighboring states, it's hard for them both to be good at the same time for extended periods because there aren't enough recruits to go around.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

JMU is loaded with ex-P5 players, and it shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted