1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Reuben Sandwich from Subway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 15, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Which Wich rules. Firehouse is an acceptable backup.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't hit Subway often, but I just had a black forest ham sub, and it was pretty darn good.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If my only sub sandwich option for the rest of my life was Hungry Hobo's, I'd be fine with that.

Pickelman's and Mr. Goodcents also are strong contenders.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Hell, even Blimpie's is better than Subway.

But I'd rather hit up a McAlister's or Panera for a sandwich lunch, if I'm going for a chain. Mostly because of the soup.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Haven't had most of the chains mentioned here except for Subway but wanted to drop in to praise subs from Publix which is our go to when in Florida.

6. Subway is about our only option here. My kids like it a lot.
    We have a Firehouse Subs here, but I have never walked through the door.

I've only seen one Jersey Mike's

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Subway is next door to the market, so it gets visited now and then. Tuna sandwiches are OK (because they don't put onions and celery in the tuna, nor overload it with mayo). Favorite is Jersey Mike's, but it's not close by. Firehouse is good, too, but, again, not close by. I've been getting PT for a bum knee and there is a Jimmy John's that is close to the clinic. Tried it a few times and it is OK, but not as good as Jersey Mike's.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Jimmy John's got some bad press a few years ago for the way it treated employees, so I've never gone there.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm like Chris, Subway is the only real option in my town. I find it just OK, although their chocolate chip cookies are good. Jersey Mike's has a couple of locations in the next town up (where I work), been there a few times and think it's very good.
    When I was in San Diego, we had Togo's all over the place and another chain called SubMarina which I liked a lot. Hardly ever went to Subway when I was living down there.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If I could vote for the American chain I would most like to come to Canada, I'd vote for Jimmy John's.

Subway is like eating the ass end of a horse, topped with vegetables made out of flavoured ice and food dye, wrapped in wet sawdust.

That's not praise.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought there was criticism of Jimmy John’s — hell, there is criticism of everything — but I couldn’t remember what it was. Thought maybe is was one of those things where the owner was standing in front of a photoshopped lion that he supposedly shot. As for treating employees poorly, nobody is making anybody work there. It’s not a career destination. Don’t like it, there’s another sandwich shop down the street.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I went to Jimmy John's -- once. I was totally unimpressed. I'd rather have a Subway any day, and there are plenty of options better than either.

Draft saved Draft deleted