1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tommy Nobis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Tommy Nobis, the first player drafted by the expansion Atlanta Falcons and a standout middle linebacker who was never fully recognized for his talents on a long-struggling franchise, died on Wednesday at his home in an Atlanta suburb. He was 74.

The Falcons announced his death but did not specify the cause. Nobis was among hundreds of former National Football League players who struggled with physical and cognitive ailments after their careers ended.

A redheaded native of San Antonio, Nobis starred on both sides of the line at the University of Texas, where his No. 60 is one of six numbers to have been retired.

Tommy Nobis, Star Linebacker and the First Falcon, Dies at 74

[​IMG]

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tommy Nobis knocked the ever-living crap out of people. Much better than the teams he played for.

RIP.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Only draft pick to have an astronaut call down from space to get him to sign with a team.

It failed.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Would he be the best player the ever play at Texas? I guess the other contenders would be the Heisman trophy winners from the school, Young, Williams and Campbell. But Nobis went both ways and was great. .

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nobis was a first class LB, period. He was stuck on some wretched Falcons teams, but man was he good.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I reckon it’s up for debate between Nobis and Bobby Layne as the best pre-integration UT player.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I loved Tommy Nobis. I was a kid in Atlanta when the Falcons got him, and he was a stud. I wish that he'd been able to get the sort of surgery that athletes today have.

That said, Earl Campbell was an absolute force of nature. When he was young he was near unstoppable. I really liked the Bum Phillips "Luv ya Blue" Oilers, but Bum ran Earl out of the I 35 to 40 times a game and flat used him up. Earl wanted it that way... but it absolutely ruined him. It's all he can do to get from his truck to his front door now.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with your thoughts on Campbell though it is hard to compare a fullback and a two-way lineman. I think I would rank it Campbell, Young (what a gifted two way quarterback) and then Nobis.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nobis and Diron Talbert famously stopped Joe Namath short of the goal line late in the 1965 Orange Bowl, one of the greatest bowl games in history. To this day, Namath swears he scored.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Talbert's current business makes some damn fine sandwiches.

Draft saved Draft deleted