1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wire Editor -- Gatehouse Media (Austin, Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by StaggerLee, Dec 11, 2017.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Posting for a friend. Gatehouse Media has an opening for a Wire Desk Editor in its Center for News and Design in Austin.

Link is at the bottom. Anyone needing more information on job, please feel free to contact Jason Blakeney at jblakeney@gatehousemedia.com.

Wire Desk Editor

The CND seeks an editor who is as comfortable posting content -- news, photos, videos -- to the web as designing news/sports pages on deadline. This editor will join the CND Wire Desk to produce a variety of daily news pages.

The Wire Desk Editor’s duties include:
    • Compiling, editing, rewriting content from various wire services to provide complete, comprehensive and multi-layered digital content that is syndicated to GateHouse newsroom websites.
    • Using digital facing CMS, user interface to create complete digital packages that can include internal and external links,photos, video.
    • Compiling, editing and designing pages in Business, Nation/World, Sports and Features using Associated Press, Washington Post and content from other news outlets.
    • Using page-design software and centralized front-end system to lay out print pages from beginning to end.
    • Providing weekly specialty pages such as Music/Books, NFL previews, college football previews (multiple conferences) and topical pages based on news events.
    • Handling special projects, such as Super Bowl preview sections.
    The Wire Desk Editor must:
    • Have a dual skill set in both newspaper design and copy editing
    • Must be able to multi-task,
    • Must be able to handle hard deadlines
    • Be a team player, able to interact proactively and productively with dozens of colleagues while helping to build team morale
    • Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
    • Have proven line-editing skills and be versed in AP style
    • Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign
    • Digital experience a requirement

Wire Editor - GateHouse Media

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If they'll let you work remotely, I might be in.

bpoindexter likes this.
  3. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

I have friends who work or have worked at the design center. I've heard some horror stories. Apply only if you're comfortable being overworked, being lied to by management, working for managers who don't value or care about your opinion and would rather go by the opinion of outside consultants than their own workers actually doing the job, and using outdated methods of doing some of the work (example: no working scripts or automated agate) that compromise quality and efficiency. That operation could be top-notch, but not with a management that doesn't invest in the proper resources, is constantly still trying to figure out how to run that place more than three years after it opened and keeps adding work on to a chronically overburdened workforce.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What workplace in America does that not apply to?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    StaggerLee, Bronco77 and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

Wouldn’t it be easier to just say “I used to work at this shop, and this is how I feel” instead of saying your friends told you horror stories? Work is hard sometimes. That’s why they pay you to show up.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

This is Gatehouse to a T.

Look, we all know this industry has its challenges. Many of us have learned how to deal with tighter budgets, smaller staffs, and incompetent management.

But Gatehouse is really something else. Antiquated CAMS software, a lack of communication between papers and the CND, a lack of communication between Gatehouse execs and newspaper editors, poor digital infrastructure, and much more.

It's everything bad about the newspaper industry condensed into one company. .

Potential employees should be aware of that when applying.

InTheKnow22 likes this.
  7. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Do these design centers generally pay well?

InTheKnow22 likes this.
  8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Hahahahahahhahahahah (breathe) ahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Doc Holliday and InTheKnow22 like this.
  9. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

I mean "pay well" as relative to a typical design job at a newspaper? Or is it about the same?

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's less. It's GateHouse.
    Commit that to memory.

wicked and InTheKnow22 like this.
  11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

No automated agate? Didn't we have that in 1983?

InTheKnow22 likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Have you been living under a rock? The design centers I'm familiar with are a stone's throw pay above McDonald's. Seriously. I shit you not, I once had an editor tell me "It's just drawing boxes. A trained monkey can draw boxes."

Draft saved Draft deleted