1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One thing someone had mentioned this week when I was asking around, was that the early signees are guys who intend to enroll in college in January. So basically, JUCOs and guys who are good enough academically to graduate high school in December.
    Is that right? Or is it for anyone who wants to get it out of the way?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's changed. High schoolers are now able to sign their LOIs in December as well.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. It's like basketball now. Seniors can sign in either December or February regardless of whether they are enrolling early or not.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That I understand. However, one assistant is leaving because he got a head coaching job. Certainly understandable. The other is apparently getting fired.

I'm still trying to find the issue. They didn't want to keep one assistant and the other is getting an opportunity to run a program.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In actual football, Boise State just got hoisted on its own petard.
    It tried to run a Statue of Liberty play, the running back fumbled, and Oregon returned it for a touchdown. Then Boise marched right back down the field, threw an interception in the end zone and it got returned 101 yards for another score.
    So Oregon scored two defensive touchdowns in the last 40 seconds of the first half, and instead of it being at least 24-0 Boise at halftime it's now 24-14.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's why they're Boise State, Batman.

Actually, I'll start a bowl thread so we can keep this one on the coaching carousel.

Batman likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The assistant that's being fired was going to run the defense a week ago.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It kind of makes me wonder why. A two-year extension and raise? Sure. But it isn't like he isn't going to bail in the next two years anyway. Almost makes me wonder if someone besides his agent is hearing about potential NFL movement (either involving Kiffin or another P5 coach).

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You know what?
    Good for him, and good for the school.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted