1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is that weird thing that men of a certain age due when they "flirt" "connect" or "joke" with women way out of their league or age-bracket thinking people will see it as harmless and ridiculous on its face, but it isn't when that person is a superior. The women put up with it because they think they have to. The men (whether it's Hefner, Trump at a beauty pageant, SI people hanging at swimsuit shoots or radio hosts interviewing "Hooters Girls") look ridiculous and gross. It's kind of a running "gag" on the Dan Patrick Show with Fritz, but it isn't cool.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, the stuff with Sara Walsh's miscarriage is horrifying.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anybody remember those videos of Berman on location at some bar for Monday night football?
    He was so frigging creepy.

Regarding the wine he gave her:
    "Did you think of me when you drank it?"

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you don’t like Roy Moore, wait until you find out about Dustin.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As of 5 months ago, I’m pretty sure Hugh Hefner was lionized by most.

Donald Trump is the president.

While I’m thrilled to see yucky behavior finally getting the punishment it always deserved, it was rewarded with silence and sexual benefits. For years.

And a lot of that is on men who either were too scared to protect women or envied the men who preyed on them.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do not vote for Dustin!

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On the latest ESPN mess.

I can't say what did or didn't happen but I can offer some light on the mentality of many sports anchors.

If you're a guy who made it to Bristol, especially a white guy, you beat incredible odds to get to ESPN. (Yes, it's one of the few professions where white males are at a real disadvantage of moving up.)

Compare this with female sports anchors/reporters. As long as they can pronounce Krzyzrwski, they usually move up to FOX regional networks by age 25. ESPN is often the next step a year or two later. News directors often replace female with female - regardless of talent level. (To be fair, they rarely hire females as the top sports anchor at a station. Enough for diversity appearances.)

The ego of a white male anchor in Bristol is probably that of a former pro athlete. They beat out hundreds of others to get that job in, say, Philly or Boston before moving to ESPN. Usually takes about five jumps to get there out or college. Ten years. Maybe more. (I left sports exactly because I didn't get there. When I applied for big market sports jobs, I often got to the final 10 or 15 but I wasn't "the choice". The Philip Rivers of job applicants.)

They likely see every anchor at ESPN who isn't a white male as someone who was able to skip steps along the way. Lubbock for a year then to Dallas and then to ESPN. So they don't respect them.

Add in people like Sterger who didn't exactly get her start in TV by shooting high school volleyball features in Anniston, Alabama. Every market I've worked in has had female sports reporters who think it's okay to sleep with athletes from the teams they cover. They do a disservice to the entire industry.

In the TV world, a person's perceived value is directly correlated to how they're treated. If an anchor is truly valued, the station or network will wait for them through a maternity leave or during a serious illness.

If they think they're replaceable, they get replaced. It's always been like that.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Vombatus, HanSenSE, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That is the long and short of it. It has been and will be again because as long as men have power, they will use it to their own advantage.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That ain’t much, and I’m sure Buccigross feels like a real fool having to defend himself on texts to a woman who, based on that texts, wasn’t remotely “into” him.

All that said, here’s a guy trying on mild, nerdy flirting with a much younger woman who never says a thing in those texts that indicates she’s sincerely interested, and...this is why Mike Pence’s approach is used.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Gross. Gross. Gross. Everything about this whole line of thought is disgusting.

List of SportsCenter anchors and reporters - Wikipedia

Using this list, 16 of the 40 current sportscenter anchors and reporters are white males. That's 40% of the spots to a demographic that makes up 30% of the country.

When you say "being a white guy is a disadvantage" you mean "being a white guy is not the normal overwhelming advantage that culture has made me believe is my birthright." And you're shitting on women in the job to take out your angst over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.