1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much will you pay to access SJ.com?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’d pay @Jeff to get rid of the iPhone pop-up.

Attached Files:

JC likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I just posted that in response to yours regarding who, other than some ISP muckety-muck, might be on the anti-NN side.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know ... It's just the end of a long day, and I'd already had a couple of beers, so I wasn't going to take the time to read through an entire academic paper. I assumed you'd read it yourself and would be able to break it down for the sake of discussion.

As I noted, I'm sincerely interested in it, just not in a space to do the reading right now (and probably not until early next week).

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another thing that hacks me off - it isn't like these private companies funded the foundation of the Internet. Taxpayers did. The ISPs, just built the on-ramps.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Everyone knows Al Gore did it all.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Can’t copy and paste from the pdf, but did this paper just argue that ISPs don’t have market power and therefore can’t do these awful things we fear?

... because I have literally one high speed choice, and I for sure don’t live in the boonies. If that’s not market power ....

8. doctorquant

“We do not exclude the possibility that broadband ISPs could possess market power in certain geographic markets, and recommend that the Commission (or other enforcement authority) include a finding of market power as a key element in a case-by-case approach to policing anticompetitive behavior in Internet-related markets. However, as we discuss below, localized market power would not in general create the potential for exclusionary behavior by broadband ISPs relative to content and applications providers.”

9. Justin_Rice

What percentage of these case-by-case instances are going to be found in favor of the consumer? What will be my recourse when one of these case-by-case instances allows Verizon to charge more to access content from outside its own network?

10. doctorquant

I think the operative legal phrase is sena dura, which is Latin for “tough titty.”

11. Justin_Rice

Sweet!

So what again is the plus side to ending net neutrality?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps it will be like airline deregulation.

Those who want to save --- are willing to fly at a less convenient time, stay over a Saturday, etc. --- will pay less.

Those who demand ultimate convenience and flexibility --- book the day before, in first class --- will pay more.

That's the way things usually shake out. The frugal save, while the "gotta have all the newest bells and whistles" crowd pays more. Right now I pay $35/month for my phone's talk/text/data plan that covers my wife and myself. Essentially $20/person after taxes. Because we do not demand unlimited everything because we don't need unlimited everything.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted