1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much will you pay to access SJ.com?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And what if my ISP makes a deal with Google to form a partnership and now my access to Amazon is cutoff? I'll get no Netflix and no book to read.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are places to access something outside of your ISP. Spectrum is my ISP. But they're not what I use on my phone. Or my computer at work. Or the computers at the library. Or most any wi-fi you can find at any coffee shop.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you on abortion, but man, you crushed that meatball. Tip your cap and round the bases.
    [​IMG]

4. Spartan Squad

So if I can no longer get something from the comfort of my home, I now have to go to Starbucks? Yeah that may be the solution but why should I have to? I used to not have internet service when I first got out of college. I couldn't afford it. I was forced to have to go to my office to do anything online. It was a tremendous pain in the ass. But if it means capitalism continues unabated...

5. bigpern23

I'm a little surprised that anyone who is not a C-suite executive or a major shareholder of an ISP would ever argue that ending net neutrality is - or even could be - a good thing for consumers. What potential benefit is there for consumers? Can anyone name one?

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If we let Comcast charge you more, eventually prevailing rates will rise to the point that a startup ISP will see profit in building the infrastructure to compete, giving the consumer a choice to pay more than they pay now, but less than Comcast’s new and improved freedom rates.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1) If your ISP sufficiently pisses off enough people, they will lose customers and change tactics.
    2) Your phone provider likely is not the same as your home computer ISP. And each have wi-fi search capabilities. The odds that ISP-x blocking competitor-y will have a positive effect on ISP-x that sufficiently makes the backlash worthwhile are almost nonexistent.
    3) Everybody in this country loves capitalism until it hurts them in some way. No system is perfect. A five-minute CAT-scan costs $1,700-$3,500. That's a far bigger capitalistic concern of mine than whether it might cost more to access some website from my home computer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. Spartan Squad

1) there aren't many alternative ISP options in a given region especially when you're not in a metro area.
    2) my cell coverage doesn't help my computer and tablet.
    3) I don't like capitalism in it's pure form. But that's a rant for another day.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Net Neutrality Regulation: The Economic Evidence by Jerry Brito, Martin Cave, Robert Crandall, Larry Darby, Everett Ehrlich, Jeffrey Eisenach, Jerry Ellig, Henry Ergas, David Farber, Gerald Faulhaber, Robert Hahn, Alfred Kahn, Wayne Leighton, Robert Litan, Glen Robinson, Hal Singer, Vernon Smith, William Taylor, Timothy Tardiff, Leonard Waverman, Dennis Weisman :: SSRN

Hermes, bigpern23 and lcjjdnh like this.
  10. bigpern23

It's 9:30, I'm a couple of Sam Adams deep and watching football ... care to summarize? :D

*I'm sincerely interested and will get around to reading it, but it ain't gonna happen right now, so in the interest of furthering discussion, I'm curious what the benefit is to consumers

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The issue isn't only about net neutrality, but what form it should take. Here's a pro-neutrality, anti-Title II take.

https://stratechery.com/2017/pro-neutrality-anti-title-ii/

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/wp...r_The-Best-Path-Forward-on-Net-Neutrality.pdf

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

Draft saved Draft deleted