1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 14, 2017.

1. For as long as I live, I’ll never forget the call.

It was a Friday night, around 8:00, when my phone rang. It was Mike Francesa. Sports broadcasting pioneer. Radio icon. New York legend. Mike Francesa.

And he wasn’t happy. “Joe, it’s Mike,” the gruff voice on the other end of the line said. “I just read your story. And you’re not gonna like what I have to say.” A Tribute to Retiring Sports Radio Giant Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in NY

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine like a lot of things, Francesa is a "New York thing" I just don't understand, or someone who is mainly famous "because" they work in New York. There are better talk hosts out there, better interviewers, more interesting personalities, from what I've seen on simulcasts - there really isn't anything there I couldn't find in Tulsa, San Diego, Boston or El Paso.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This guy, and the illusion that the Knicks are ever a relevant franchise, are two NY things I have never understood as to why the rest of the country is supposed to be interested.

Inky_Wretch, HanSenSE and Stoney like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Sweeny doesn't say "Mike", he might still be asleep.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was a religious listener to he and the Dog. Back in the day (pre-Twitter), if there was a major NY sports story, you had to tune in at 1 p.m to hear what they said.

Once he went out on his own, he turned even more humorless and know-it-all, which I didn't think was possible.

One thing I always liked about him (solo or with the Dog) is that they never turned the show into a juvenile boys' club.

bigpern23 and lcjjdnh like this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You just don't get it, man.

It's the utter contempt for most of his audience and his blithering ignorance topped off by amazing hubris that makes him special.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nobody else in the country gives a shit. We all have our own wackadoodle.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't even have a ranking wackadoodle, and I don't give a shit.

poindexter likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He was first (along with Russo). It's really that simple. He and Russo defined the genre, made sports talk radio a viable business model and gave every wackadoodle thereafter an opportunity to do their thing.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was just thinking of this. That one, and his 1776 one crack me up.

As for the real Francesa, I found him fine to listen to for short bursts of time, but he'd drive me nuts if I tried to listen to him for hours.

The worst was when he and Russo used to try to guess how high or low TV ratings were for different games.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Heeeeeee STINKS!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted