1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Larry Kennan got fired at University of Incarnate Word last month. 20-46 record while there.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

As pointed out, you make those slot receivers into slot backs and you have your flexbone. Paul Johnson's option offense builds a lot of its passing game off a run and shoot base.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

UIW was probably among the worst 10 teams in Division I football this year. If you can’t at least break even in the mediocre Southland Conference, you must really suck.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, Lancey Howard pretty much straightened me out on that one. I'd never seen the option out of it. I was just used to the S-Back version that Pardee ran.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Couldn't believe going through Sagrin's ratings, North Dakota State is ranked in the mid-30s. There are a few FCS schools ranked higher than FBS schools.

Anybody up for a Bowl Picks thing on Yahoo or whatever?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Missouri Valley is ranked ahead of the Sun Belt, C-USA, the MAC East and MWC West by Sagarin. The Valley has six teams in the top 93.

The lowest FBS team, UTEP, comes in at No. 200 and the lowest Power 5 team is Kansas at 157.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I had run across him a few times professionally in a former life, so this piqued my interest. I found this from September:

Stephen F. Austin safety Alize Ward’s spectacular 67-yard interception return for a touchdown on the game’s final play lifted the Lumberjacks to a 37-31 victory over the Cardinals in Nacogdoches and left the Cardinals and their coaching staff with egg on their faces.

Ward made the theft after quarterback Sean Brophy let the ball fly into triple coverage on a third-and-6 flea flicker from his own 25-yard line with 16 seconds left.

The heartbreaking loss came after UIW climbed its way out of an early 21-0 hole. But that rally soon gave way to questions about why Cardinals coach Larry Kennan attempted to catch the Lumberjacks off guard rather than simply running out the clock and attempting to win in overtime.

That's a smart dude.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I was in junior high school and high school I was obsessed with football. I would check out books by football coaches. I could not get through most of them. The books were just a lot of diagrams.

The two best were Tiger Ellison's book on the Run and Shoot offense. He was an English teacher and he took the time to explain things. I was also thrilled by his ability to think outside the box.

The second was a book by Woody Hayes. He also explained things and the book was well written. Woody was actually a guy who had some innovative ideas. At that time the hash marks were further apart. Hayes emphasized wide side and narrow side. He explained that the vast majority of plays are run from at or near a hash mark. He used to put his best athletes on defense on the wide side. He figured that the play was probably going to be run the the wide side and if the other offense went narrow side the sideline was the defenses friend.

Which is a long way of saying that I have never understood why offenses that run double slot backs, such as the run and shoot or Georgia Tech's offense, do not line up their most elusive back on the narrow side of the field every down. I think they should adopt Hayes thinking. If you are going to run a triple option you are going to generally run wide side. Then on the wide side put a bigger receiver in. Someone who weighs 215 or so who is still athletic enough to catch a pass but can at least slow down the strong side linebacker.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have a friend that contends that 10-percent of all coaches are intelligent and innovative people and the rest are hammerheaded ex-gym teachers. This certainly helps prove that.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The great Herm Edwards experiment at Arizona State is off to a rousing start:

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No one could have seen this coming, amirite?

Draft saved Draft deleted