1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was what Morgan Spurlock admits to rape?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 14, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The side of me that generally believes in people feels like this was a commendable piece written by Spurlock, a quite self-aware, seemingly truthful, expose of his own failings as a human. The cynic in me suspects he was trying to get out in front of any accusations and control his own message. It's probably both, but even if the latter played a part, I don't think it would be a bad thing if more men were able to examine their own behavior as he did.

As to the original question, I'd say he did not admit to rape. But her story may be a far sight different than his. And it's not too far from his account to rape.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Everybody's getting out in front of their stories now. Rape? Who knows. But now it's all about shaping the first narrative.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don’t think? Man, this is like the C.K. story in the Times. He leaves out so many key details that it’s absolutely impossible to make that determination.

He doesn’t come out and say it, but it’s pretty clear Spurlock doesn’t consider what he did to be rape. He believed she had, for some reason, indicated that she had changed her mind. Maybe there was some indication that she was going to come forward, and he wanted his version out there first, with his framing.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Um, if that’s what happened, that IS rape if he doesn’t stop.

(And, yes, I’m well aware there are states where women aren’t allowed to change their minds.)

5. Dick Whitman

I mean changed her mind from “no” to “yes.”

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Gotcha. One of the several holes in his story that prevent us from making a determination. Pretty convenient holes, too.

OscarMadison and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

That was my first reaction. I've enjoyed his work in the past, but his relationship with the truth as it pertains to good storytelling is not too far off from Michael Moore's. I agree that the girl's side of the story might differ.

8. Dick Whitman

My guess is that the woman's side just fills in a blank: After telling him "No," we started fooling around again, and he began having sex with me.

Spurlock - and this is just me guessing here based on having lived life - approached it as, "She seems into this. I'm going to try again. If she doesn't stop me, that means 'yes.'"

As much as we and others grouse about the concept of affirmative consent and how it ruins romance, I cannot ever recall in my day taking that step without gaining affirmative consent. Ever. Because it's a really big fucking step. (No pun intended.) I even remember getting laughed at and told I had "spoiled the mood." Fuck it. There were going to be other women. But only one chance to make it through this life without a rape conviction. (And, more importantly, without raping someone.)

Draft saved Draft deleted