1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Then don't have one.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nice interview with Howell Raines. Some perceptive observations.

Report from Alabama: ‘Doug Jones Is the Man We’ve Been Waiting For’

Let’s talk about Trump, who endorsed Roy Moore. He carried the state by 28 points just a year ago, but the Alabama exit polls on Tuesday showed that Trump’s job rating is now 48 percent approval and 48 percent disapproval. Trump has lost a lot of support in Alabama.

HR: Journalists worry about “missing the lead.” In the Alabama election, the lead maybe should be the shrinking and fracturing of the renowned Trump base. It was as strong here as anywhere in the country. That 48 percent approval rating on Tuesday is really remarkable.

--------------------------
    W: How did Bannon go over with the core Roy Moore supporters?

HR: That is, again, one of the unexpected features of this election. I think he hurt Moore. He gets up among these relatively small crowds that Moore was drawing, and looks down on these 200 people, modestly dressed, and works the room like a standup comic among the rubes. He boasts about getting into Georgetown and Harvard, when Joe Scarborough, a Floridian, who attended University of Alabama, had to settle for going to school in Tuscaloosa, because he couldn’t pass the Ivy League entrance exams. Bannon radiated a kind of condescension.

The other thing that’s very striking is Senator Richard Shelby’s election-eve announcement that he couldn’t vote for Roy Moore. [He’s Alabama’s senior Republican senator.] That is very unusual. Republican members of Congress in Alabama never speak out on political issues that have an ethical component. What that said to the average Alabamian didn’t need to be spelled out by Shelby. His implicit message was that the sophisticated business leadership of Alabama, as represented by the Mercedes and Honda and Airbus plants, want you to send this guy away. I think that was like driving the silver spike into Dracula’s heart.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't need to get involved in that culture war. We have enough fuckin problems right now.
    You want to terminate your own child have at it - don't expect everyone else to feel good about it.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Trump's approval rating in Alabama is not incongruous with his 28-point victory. The voters in Alabama faced a binary choice: Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. That he has a low approval rating says absolutely zilch about whether his support has eroded or not. He could easily clobber Hillary Clinton or any other Democrat by 28 points were the election held again today. Or he might not. But either way, we can't tell from looking at the approval rating.

The fact that smart people don't know how to use basic reasoning and logic scares the shit out of me every time I file a brief in a case. It really does. (I'm talking about Raines, NC, not you.)

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that anti-Hillary sentiment was part of that approval rate - but Trump's approval here has indeed eroded.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

C25A63F7-4F40-4F71-9C5B-3B9A3906A6A5.jpeg

You mean these kids, that republicans don’t care were murdered?

HanSenSE, Della9250 and TigerVols like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump on:
    Barack Obama--born in Kenya
    Hillary Clinton--crooked
    Vladimir Putin--great guy
    NY Times--failing
    CNN--fake news
    His electoral vote total--biggest since Reagan
    Internet--eh, I'm neutral

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not terminatin my kid or anyone else's. I've never been in that situation. But someone else's situation isn't mine.

And I don't recall anyone asking everyone else to "feel good about it".

I don't even know what the fuck this means.
    I don't need to get involved in that culture war. We have enough fuckin problems right now.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People were killing babies, as you put it, before Social Security existed, and when Social Security was doing just fine.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's pretty self-explanatory.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.