1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finishing up the final season of Turn-Washington's Spies. They did a good job of explaining how Yorktown happened, but what surprised me was that the "sword of surrender" at Yorktown is not in some US museum. Most historians believe the sword was either immediately, or eventually returned to Cornwallis (who had an aide deliver it) by Washington. And it's whereabouts are no longer known.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Rachel Brosnahan should win just about every award available for that. And Alex Borstein has proven to be a little more than just Miss Swan, too.

3. I am huge Amy Sherman Palladino fan and this show is outstanding in every way.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This is the show that ASP has in her when she has no restrictions. Writing for network TV can be difficult when you have to deal with the FCC.

Also, Alex Borstein is awesome. In addition to being Lois Griffin, she was originally cast to be Sookie in Gilmore Girls, but couldn't because she was on MADTv. She's in the first season as Drella, the harp player, and in later seasons as Miss Celine, Emily's aged stylist. (She was also married to the guy who played Jackson but they divorced in 2014.)

5. jr/shotglass

I'd go as far as to say Brosnahan's first monologue and strip in Episode 1 was among the best scenes in recent memory. So perfect.

6. DanOregon

Damn Stranger Things 2 was dark. I didn't just feel bad for the character Will, I felt bad for the actor who played him. The tone went from Spielberg to Wes Craven. The cinematography did a great job capturing those 80's slasher films.

7. Anyone watch the Christmas Story live last night?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

The "twist" at the end of the most recent Designated Survivor was interesting. I really have a hard time getting sucked into a show's drama when characters who are supposed to be smart do really dumb things and act in ways that make you question their character's motivation. It's like trying to figure out if a player is having an off-night or tanking a game for betting purposes. I'm guessing this is the show that gives Trump all of his ideas about the FBI.

10. jr/shotglass

My wife is a Christmas Story addict. Watches it two or three times on TNT each Christmas.

She watched three minutes of that and turned the channel.

11. DanOregon

If you're looking for something quick to binge - there is a new season of W1A on Netflix. It's like The Office, but set at the BBC. It's kind of a "sequel" to the "2012" series with Hugh Bonneville. A lot of sports stuff comes up - it makes me think how ripe this show would be for an Americanized version.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted