1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the %&%& is Radiohead not a Rock & Roll HOFer but Bon Jovi is?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will not be at all surprised if Jack White gets in, with or without the White Stripes.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They are a 2000s act, though and, yes, he will be in. The Black Keys, too. Kings of Leon maybe. And ... thus ends the rock 'n' roll chapter of the history of popular music.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At least with sports hall of fames we have a general idea what the criteria is. 3,000 hits is 3,000 hits. A seven-time All-Pro is a seven-time All-Pro.

I have no idea what the Rock Hall is looking for. Nickelback is the record sales equivalent of a 700 home run hitter, but we all agree the band sucks. There are acts that get in purely for being influential, but others that don't. Bon Jovi has the "stats," but when is that supposed to matter?

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's just no winning in a debate like this. Because what I like is going to sound like nails on a blackboard to Dick, and what Dick likes is going to be laughable to Jake, and what Jake likes ...

Every band mentioned has enough of a following to ... well, have a following. They must have done something right.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It’s somewhat edifying that it took since 2009 for a huge popular success like Bon Jovi to get in, bc I think their music is crap. Again, it’s a HOF, so the plateau is ill defined. I just don’t like their music, but a lot of people do.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Actually, Dick and I are usually on about the same page with music. Let's keep Songbird off the selection committee though.

QYFW and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is why I've always thought the notion of a RR Hall of Fame is kinda dumb. How do you decide?

The only objective way to measure candidates against each other is by record sales. But, as you noted, many bands now recognized as crap sold a ton. And many now recognized as great did not. So that doesn't work. And any other criteria is wildly subjective.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Chumbawumba could have been Radiohead if "Tubthumping" wasn't their first single.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’ll probably take shit for this, but I like Bon Jovi. I even like the newer stuff like “Who Says You Can’t Go Home?”

The acoustic version of “Livin’ On A Prayer” from the Concert for New York is an all-timer.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Their songs are good because they are focus-grouped and market-tested. It’s rock ‘n’ Roll Madonna.

cjericho likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Well, Radiohead overcame “Creep,” which was a typical shoegazing Brit rock song from the mid-1990s.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does "don't hold a candle to" = are much better than anything Bonblowme ever did?

Draft saved Draft deleted