1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The upside of office flirtation? I’m living it’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 6, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now that we know who the husband is, am I the only one wondering if this article was a preemptive strike against possible accusations that may be coming out?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe not consciously, but it sounds like the guy was the life of the party. I suspect hers wasn't the first gap he peeked down. I could be wrong.

3. Dick Whitman

That is such a strange reaction to me. I'm a born skeptic when it comes to too-good-to-be-true stories. I didn't believe dying-boy-Santa last year for some of the same reasons, and I was right about that, too. I didn't believe the Angelina Jolie-lookalike plastic surgery disaster story.

I was about three sentences in when I knew that the "Rolling Stone" story was made-up garbage.

Betty Friedan doesn't come in and put a medal around your neck for biting on something like that. I'm never going to take pride in being gullible.

People were aghast when I wrote that I "believed that Patrick Kane's accuser believed she was raped," but it wasn't meant to cast doubt upon her. At that point in the story, everything rang true to me. But I wasn't ready to commit whole hog without more information. Eventually, her credibility kind of fell apart. But early on, it didn't seem like a Jackie story.

Not sure why my approach is considered so "creepy" and "misogynistic."

4. YankeeFan

I’m curious, because there’s this whole “shitty men in media list” floating out there, but I’m still unsure if guys like Lauer and Rose were on it.

(I feel like someone who faced accusations told their employer that they were on the list, but I can’t remember who it was.)

I guess I’d like to know if this guy is on the list.

5. YankeeFan

In this case, I think he’s just saying he’s glad no one actually was gang raped.

6. Dick Whitman

That was his second sentence. His first sentence was expressing pride that he was snookered.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's not.

But Gawker men make many appearances.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did it express pride? He said he "owned" it. That sounds more like an admission of some sort of guilt than pride.

9. Dick Whitman

A better way for me to have phrased that would be to say that he conceded that he was proud at the time for having been snookered.

With some distance now from publication, I'd be curious if @jr/shotglass is still proud that he was taken by the piece, and still wonders what is "wrong" with the people who were not.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait for @jr/shotglass to weigh in, but I read that completely differently. I don't see any indication of pride in that sentence. None. I don't even really see how anyone would infer that it does.

It sounds to me like he's saying that falling for it was his honest reaction to the story and he owns that (admits to it?), but he'd rather have been snookered than have the truth be that a young girl actually got gang raped.

11. Dick Whitman

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, @Pete, is,that a rape joke by YF?

Draft saved Draft deleted