1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

Those are my kind of Cougars.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

With Sonny Dykes getting the SMU job, that leaves only Kent State and UL-Lafayette.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which obviously means he didn't have a QB for next season either...

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well there is still the matter of him being eligible immediately.

It's probably more that, at worst, they didn't want to go into the season with a redshirt sophomore backed up by a redshirt freshman and two true freshmen.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I just hope not much is expected of Matt Luke for a long while.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Matt Luke and John in one post. Just need a Mark.

Dantonio? Richt? Stoops at UK?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that's part of the reason he got the job. Reward a loyal soldier and a homegrown guy when it's going to be very difficult to attract the A-Lister you want. If you get anything out of him the next two years, you find a hidden gem. If the team tanks, you're no worse off. If they piddle along around .500 you're still no worse off, except you can get someone better and point to it as a program that just needs the right hand to push it along.
    Either way, they re-evaluate in two years with no hard feelings.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or giving them the chance to play in a program not under NCAA sanction.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It will work out for both parties. He'll get hammered on the field and probably fired in two years, but his profile will have been elevated, and if he handles himself well, some Sun Belt AD will be pleased to sign him up about 10 minutes after he is executed. By then, the sanctions will be off and the job will be more likely to attract an established coach. But I'm still voting Ole Miss as one of the most delusional fan bases in history. Ran off David Cutcliffe after one mediocre year. I think we've seen what he can do at Duke. And we've seen what Ole Miss will do -- what it may have to do -- in order to try to convince everybody that they matter: cheat your ass off and lie about it as often as possible.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good for him.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wofford open. Coach Mike Ayers retires. The Terriers have an excellent FCS program.

Draft saved Draft deleted