1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

D-3 Fan likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I rarely cheer for someone losing their job. In this case, I'll make an exception.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I swear, I have seen more flightaware links posted in the past two weeks than in the rest of my life combined.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Rich Rod's post game:

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Florida was 10-2 under Muschamp and McElwain, but by golly was it a tough watch. Like late-series “Scandal” or “Heroes” tough. I had more fun watching West Virginia and Texas Tech lose games.

Those good records came when the SEC East was at its nadir. Georgia is waking up, and it’s not getting any easier for Florida, Missouri and Tennessee.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10-2, 9-3 is no good when you are losing to the same -2 or -3 every year (michigan....) I think we also see a pattern of programs stagnating. I wouldn't mind a 4-8 year if it led to a 10-2 year. But multiple 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 years, where an early loss kind of kills any hope repeatedly, can really drag down a fan base. Beat your rivals occasionally, beat a top-ranked team occasionally, and fans will stay with you. So many of the coaching profiles of these coaches who have been shown the door are similar. An early burst, a 10-win season in the first three years, then backsliding to 6 and 7 win seasons. There is even talk of a warming seat in Utah.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no idea what ASU does - but there are certainly a few coaches who have become available that still have cash left on their current deals - Sumlin is the rumored pick. But he's still under contract to Texas A&M - $10 mil left. To be paid in 60 days. Why not say, we're not going to fire you, but if you leave we will waive the $5 mil for you to buyout the rest of the contract.
    ASU will payoff $10 mil to Graham. I imagine it might change things for Sumlin and ASU if they know they'll have to come up with another $10 mil to make things square in addition to whatever they agree on for salary.

10. nickp

nickp Active Member

Did Ray Anderson not see that Chip Kelly had already signed with UCLA?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But who cares? ASU will continue to be the sleeping giant that should be a whole lot better than it is. That's going to go on for the next 50 years.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted